DIY PA Speakers Setup (Line Array)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
DIY PA Speakers for general purpose or Line Aray.

Dual 2X18inch Horn Reflex Sub (40-200Hz)
Three Way Full Range (80-20000Hz) 15inch bass horn + 2X8inch mid + 1inch HF driver.

Attachments

• APEX B218 sub.jpg
    APEX B218 sub.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 7,175
  • APEX M212 sub.jpg
    APEX M212 sub.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 6,661
  • APEX PA Setup.jpg
    APEX PA Setup.jpg
    384 KB · Views: 6,436
Last edited:
The bass horn looks like it will be a big cancellation mess from the back wave and the midbass 15 horn looks like it's an upper mid horn. Maybe you should look a little deeper.

Similar bass horn, and midbass horn you can find in many brand speakers: KV2, EV... and it's work, there is nothing realy new. Dynacord 'Cobra' is compact line aray speaker system, and this suggest DIY sistem can be compare with Dynacord, but useing more available speakers for many diyers.

I don't like half of them , I'm not gonna build 'em ! Better building big sealed CONCRETE boxes !! They're gonna rock ! Sure !!
I'm jocking..but ; if there isn't any improvement over the market speakers ,what is the
purpose of a DIYer ? Do you know if there is any difference by putting the top box horizontally or vertically ? I just came to know that an array source can offer a really wide and long soundstage but that after a looooong study and a perfected tecnique.

I don't like half of them , I'm not gonna build 'em ! Better building big sealed CONCRETE boxes !! They're gonna rock ! Sure !!
I'm jocking..but ; if there isn't any improvement over the market speakers ,what is the
purpose of a DIYer ? Do you know if there is any difference by putting the top box horizontally or vertically ? I just came to know that an array source can offer a really wide and long soundstage but that after a looooong study and a perfected tecnique.

You spoke like salesman (don't try to build line array it can't be made you must bay it), but diyer with some skills can make usefull 'line aray', and save lot of money. Diyers build two way speakers (15inch + HF) all the time, only for a few hours, and this is just next step.

Last edited:
yes you're right :like a salesman !!:eek:
So ,PA means public address . Do you consider people cheap ?
Yes I'm thinking of building a high efficiency box with a 10" plus...maybe a 3/4"
and a horn,but that's supposed to be hi-fi.Difficult to beat my double 6,5" plus paper tweeter and waveguide ,total cost 100 €.
I respect your knowledge in solid state circuits but when it comes to box construction the electronic engineer often fails . I'd follow TrueSound advice (yes ,he's mad !) to look deeper .
Rgds Tony

yes you're right :like a salesman !!:eek:
So ,PA means public address . Do you consider people cheap ?
Yes I'm thinking of building a high efficiency box with a 10" plus...maybe a 3/4"
and a horn,but that's supposed to be hi-fi.Difficult to beat my double 6,5" plus paper tweeter and waveguide ,total cost 100 €.
I respect your knowledge in solid state circuits but when it comes to box construction the electronic engineer often fails . I'd follow TrueSound advice (yes ,he's mad !) to look deeper .
Rgds Tony

Give some advice to this people
Regards

Attachments

• 24735_383639849340_710299340_3650532_1620903_n.jpg
    24735_383639849340_710299340_3650532_1620903_n.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 6,056
Well, they are W-Bins. Don't get me wrong, I've had a lot of fun with them, but you often need quite a few to get the job done.

For the line array, keep in mind that you cant use just any CD horn. It must be very carefully chosen to work well with adjacent boxes. Some use multi-varying length throats to focus the energy, some use several drivers with rib-like structures built in front of the drivers to do the same. There are several designs in use out there, but those are the ones I work with day to day.

Well, they are W-Bins. Don't get me wrong, I've had a lot of fun with them, but you often need quite a few to get the job done.

For the line array, keep in mind that you cant use just any CD horn. It must be very carefully chosen to work well with adjacent boxes. Some use multi-varying length throats to focus the energy, some use several drivers with rib-like structures built in front of the drivers to do the same. There are several designs in use out there, but those are the ones I work with day to day.

CD horns for line array is available, but it's still bigest problem. I not suggest W-Bins, I suggest horn reflex like EV phenix PX2181 or old MTL1X.

Attachments

• PX2181HighRes-trans.png
    PX2181HighRes-trans.png
    104.1 KB · Views: 3,351
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.