help on non projection but lense issue

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey i am looking for some help i believe it to be an optical issue i am currently building a knight rider car and looking for some help re producing this http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JP7MC3ga0Q0

The principle seems to be a lcd with an orb made of optical grade poly(methyl methacrylate) according to the author of this project http://knightrideronline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1044&t=12970&start=25

I am looking to try this for myself as i have built everything for the car myself up to now i would also like to experiment with displaying different things on the unit.

So i guess the question is how do i get hold of a round orb made of this stuff preferably in the uk for me to play around with it i have googled but to not much avail i was even thinking half of a ohp lense setup over the lcd then using a snow globe cut in half. But before i try anything i would like you guys opinions on it?

Thanks Guys

Well to answer your question I wouldn't cut a snow globe in half, unless you want glass everywhere. And even if you got a plastic hollow one it still wouldn't look like that guys.

The reason is the optical grade poly(methyl methacrylate) is bringing the image out and forward. (It's the same stuff they used to make hard contact lenses from.) A plastic dome or even a glass ball wouldn't have the same optical properties, and thus wouldn't work.
Also he is most likely using a special high brightness VGA LCD screen to display his animation. (Expensive!)
And even if you could make all of these things, where would you get the animation from. You would have to make it pretty good to beat the one he made.

All in all it's gonna cost you so much money and skill to build one of those VOX orbs yourself that it would be cheaper to get this guy to make you one.

In short there is no easy way to do what he did. After looking at his other videos it is obvious he has a great deal of technical knowledge that spans many areas, which probably helped him out in this area. Since he has done the work I would ask him though.

Good luck!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.