Go Back   Home > Forums > >

New diyAudio platform Q&A Ask questions and get answers about the new platform.

Forum Migration - General Q&A
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th October 2021, 10:43 PM   #51
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardv View Post
Are you talking aout here or on the new forum that this happens to you?
Happens here fairly often.
Old 15th October 2021, 04:11 AM   #52
gannaji is online now gannaji  India
diyAudio Member

Default My Personal pref posts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjef View Post
I do like the idea of tagging posts for my own use, without it being vissible to others. That might help looking back at some posts of my interest. For anything public I'm very afraid
of social media behaviour of a part of the subscribers.
This is a very good suggestion !
1. For example, in a thread , there are are 2000+ posts. As I start reading the thread, I mark some posts as IMP for me. Next time I open the thread, I should be able to see only those posts marked by me as IMP. (with a provision to see all posts if required) My selection of posts is not to be available to others, except for admins.
2. This will help me to locate the Schematics, PCB layouts I used in the thread as well as Instructions by the OP, without having to wade through the whole thread.
Old 15th October 2021, 04:15 AM   #53
gerardv is offline gerardv  Australia
diyAudio Moderator

It looks like you can do something much like what you're suggesting. . . . see image.
Attached Images
File Type: png Tagging own 5.png (152.7 KB, 214 views)
Old 15th October 2021, 04:27 AM   #54
Sangram is offline Sangram  India
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjonno View Post
Sometimes posts include super large photos. On all of my computers this causes the paragraph text to be the same width, forcing you to scroll back and forth to read. Very annoying. Is there a way to limit the photos to regular page width no matter what size is uploaded?
Often refreshing the page will fix the super-sized photos.
Old 27th October 2021, 01:10 PM   #55
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

What you often see is that people don't read the first post in a thread but react to the last few they read. So after a few pages often the thread wanders off in totally different directions than the basic subject it was started for in the first place. That is also the reason many threads end in a train wreck, as people shoot off on all kinds of tangents and personal hobby horses.

Obviously you can't force people to read the first post before posting in a thread. But what would be helpful is making that first post stick as the first post on top of the screen no matter at which thread page you are.
Sort of similar to the way you can make the first line in a spreadsheet stick while scrolling through the sheet.

I'm convinced that this would help keeping threads focused and on track and better value.

Jan
Old 27th October 2021, 11:18 PM   #56
gerardv is offline gerardv  Australia
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
people don't read the first post in a thread but react to the last few they read. So after a few pages often the thread wanders off
This is a serious concern and a moderation issue too. I'm been on forums with near dictatorial mod policies about staying on topic - the discussions and threads were gold, but some people found that difficult to live with. Personally I'd be in favour of some "stay on topic" pressures on people. And with an easy way to split off a subtopic is someone needs to take it elsewhere.
Old 11th November 2021, 12:55 PM   #57
sgrossklass is offline sgrossklass  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'm been on forums with near dictatorial mod policies about staying on topic - the discussions and threads were gold, but some people found that difficult to live with.
I would be one of those people. Sometimes the OT sections are the actual fun part...
Quote:
Personally I'd be in favour of some "stay on topic" pressures on people. And with an easy way to split off a subtopic is someone needs to take it elsewhere.
So pretty much the way things used to work on Usenet. People have been unable to stay on topic in large threads for a long, long time. You best learn to live with it.

As for the subject of "likes" discussed earlier, I have grown quite attached to them elsewhere but would have to agree that they should probably be split into multiple categories. Sometimes you may want to express an "Agree" ("AOL" for the old-timers ), while at other times it might be a "Thanks" instead. Actually determining thread quality is not trivial and may mean having to introduce greater weight for those who know their stuff, and that's a real can of worms. Other places have misc. user badges to sort of deal with the problem of authority, such as "industry expert".
Old 11th November 2021, 01:23 PM   #58
Sjef is offline Sjef  Abu Dhabi
diyAudio Member

DIYAudio forum is a forum where some of the most respected audio designers in the world are taking part. Turn it into social media with "like" buttons where people are coming back to earn "likes" will be the end of the forum as a serious source because it would scare most pro designer away. For that alone I'm 100% against any form of popularity ranking. Please don't do it, don't fall into this trap nomatter how much people would like it in the beginning it will turn this forum into just another social media junk. Please dare to be different by not following trends.
Old 11th November 2021, 05:58 PM   #59
mbrennwa is offline mbrennwa  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjef View Post
DIYAudio forum is a forum where some of the most respected audio designers in the world are taking part. Turn it into social media with "like" buttons where people are coming back to earn "likes" will be the end of the forum as a serious source because it would scare most pro designer away. For that alone I'm 100% against any form of popularity ranking. Please don't do it, don't fall into this trap nomatter how much people would like it in the beginning it will turn this forum into just another social media junk. Please dare to be different by not following trends.
Yes, YES, and YEEESSSSS!!!!
Old 19th November 2021, 05:28 PM   #60
hifijim is offline hifijim  United States
diyAudio Member

I like the current format/rules/"look and feel" just as they are. This website is very informative and enjoyable. I have never failed to find what I am looking for by using the "advanced search" features.

By all means, fix and upgrade the backend, modernize the server, etc... But if the user experience did not change at all, I would be fine with that.

By the way, you moderators and administrators do a great job... Thank you.
  Reply to this post

Forum Migration - General Q&AHide this!Advertise here!