Go Back   Home > Forums > >

New diyAudio platform Q&A Ask questions and get answers about the new platform.

Forum Migration - General Q&A
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th October 2021, 10:44 PM   #31
gerardv is offline gerardv  Australia
diyAudio Moderator

There are several comments on like buttons. Here's a brief summary of where we are at. BTW We are calling these "reactions" cos that's what XenForo calls them.

We are considering options for the following two beneficial reasons.

1. Providing a way to eliminate the chaff posts we get now where people respond to say "thank you" and "that worked" etc. So for DMs we might have "got it" and "thanks" etc. as an example.

2. We have millions of posts and we're looking to improve the way we can curate which ones are "good" so as to offer those higher search ranking. So that the search is better.

We are largely against -ve reactions because those are generally misused and encourage personality battles.

"like" as a reaction is unlikely for all the reasons given and because it encourages vapid social media like posts and reactions.

We are testing "Thanks" for everyone but it has no "score". On one forum we have enabled a +1 reaction. [Bugger, I forget what it even is] oh, it is "Useful" to see if that has a beneficial effect.
Old 13th October 2021, 10:57 PM   #32
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardv View Post
Yes it should. Can you give me more specifics please?
PM sent.
Old 13th October 2021, 11:15 PM   #33
diyAudio Moderator

@stretchneck
Quote:
Fair comment - but I like the idea of a ‘heat map’ some way to view just the important posts in a thread. Some of the threads are insanely long with no summary up front. We need to make the knowledge more accessible.
This is the whole point, right here. Hence our experimentation.
Old 14th October 2021, 06:56 AM   #34
Sjef is offline Sjef  Abu Dhabi
diyAudio Member

I do like the idea of tagging posts for my own use, without it being vissible to others. That might help looking back at some posts of my interest. For anything public I'm very afraid
of social media behaviour of a part of the subscribers.

Last edited by Sjef; 14th October 2021 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 14th October 2021, 08:39 AM   #35
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretchneck View Post
Fair comment - but I like the idea of a ‘heat map’ some way to view just the important posts in a thread. Some of the threads are insanely long with no summary up front. We need to make the knowledge more accessible.
The problem I see with this is that * someone* has to decide which posts are important and which not. That takes away the neutrality of the forum. My important posts may be your nonsense posts.

Jan
Old 14th October 2021, 08:44 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Strong point Jan.
Algoritmes never work out very well for neutrality.
Old 14th October 2021, 09:05 AM   #37
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Jan. Your point is valid and one of the reasons it is complicated. But without any user feedback we just have some algorithm trying to figure what what you want to see when you search, and that has even less nous.

As the number of posts and threads grows it becomes increasingly difficult to find the info you want.

I've tried searching recently for what software I could most readily use for a tube based PCB design. It has not been easy to do on this forum as it stands.
Old 14th October 2021, 10:14 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

The biggest probleem with algoritmes that try to get to know you is that you'll end up in a bubble which tend to get more restricted the more you follow it. I have never seen it working properly
Old 14th October 2021, 10:28 AM   #39
tmuikku is online now tmuikku  Finland
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to tmuikku
I use Google first and then sometimes "Search from this thread" function and occasionally listing posts of a certain member to see what they have been up to lately. It is very rare to use the main search on the forum since in general Google does pretty darn good job finding the stuff I'm looking for and I'm not sure if a forum platform could ever match. I'm sure the forum should not solely rely on external search services and it is a hard problem to find relevant data for each as expressed in the previous comments so I wouldn't put too much effort to the main search. Google finds similar content from other forums as well so I'll continue using that no matter what the forum search engine

It would be very handy to be able to bookmark / rate posts easily in personal level. I share same concern as others here with public ranking though that it makes the forum a game. There is possibility for the diyaudio staff to evaluate what the competing forums do though. There might be a possibility to differentiate and steer the content for better quality than others on some aspect perhaps? I haven't thought what this might be. That said, diyaudio has been the favorite so far, haven't even registered to the other international forums. Plenty of accumulated information and not too many minions diluting the important stuff. But for example Tom Danley and some other knowledgeable people have been posting more on some other forums lately and I'm not sure why is that. I think it might be due to getting better noticed due to ranking and liking since especially Youtube as a channels pays out real money and promoting that is easier if there is the likes and stars and what not. Might be something completely irrelevant to a ranking system though, like the fact that people and world changes and so does the forums they prefer

So, maybe think how to make fun and nice atmosphere to get people in and post quality content might be my wish. What ever you do, thanks doing it!

Last edited by tmuikku; 14th October 2021 at 10:50 AM.
Old 14th October 2021, 11:33 AM   #40
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

If I search the forum, I search for a specific subject or issue. I do not need my search to be biased by 'popularity', I don't feel that this would give me better results. Maybe even the opposite.
YMMV of course.

Jan

Forum Migration - General Q&AHide this!Advertise here!