Go Back   Home > Forums > >

New diyAudio platform Q&A Ask questions and get answers about the new platform.

The migration to our new platform will be happening today at 11AM GMT/UTC, Wednesday 8th December 2021. See this time in your city. The site will be down for 24-48 hours while we perform the migration. Read more here.
Forum Migration - General Q&A
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th September 2021, 03:19 AM   #11
boswald is offline boswald  United States
diyAudio Member

I suggest leaving fluff like 'feedback systems' out of it until you are happy with the nuts and bolts of the site.

Thanks for all the work you guys are putting in, I think most of us just want it to work smoothly.
Old 27th September 2021, 07:39 AM   #12
stretchneck is offline stretchneck  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
This topic is definitely at the front of our minds. Launching the migration with feature parity to the current site is "phase 1", solving this problem will be addressed in a subsequent phase. Trying to find the wheat amongst the chaff of a 100k post thread has been diyAudio's bugbear for a long time, and we are very much looking forward to finding the best solution possible.

Some kind of signal/noise identifier has been suggested, and I have seen other sites where you can use a slider to dial in the level of noise you would like to see. I'm not suggesting that will be our solution, but just giving an example of how another site has tried to address this.

In a word, yes!

It's very often I want to like a post to let someone know I've read it, let them know I concur, or to say "thanks". Having such a button means a lot less "me too" posts that add noise to a thread.

Some background: We did have this for a week or two about 10 years ago. The system was quickly gamed for the wrong purposes by warring factions and was disabled pending a better implementation.

We'll be slowly introducing reactions and see how the community uses them. If we can find a way to make them work without them creating negative vibes they'll stay
Signal / noise identifier is a great idea
Old 13th October 2021, 05:13 PM   #13
puppet is offline puppet  United States
diyAudio Member

Can a "pick-up where you left off" in a thread be implemented? Some other forums do this and I kind of like it.
Old 13th October 2021, 05:39 PM   #14
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

That is how the current forum works, it would be not good to not have it in the new sw.

dave
Old 13th October 2021, 06:10 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

You say it works like that now? Not for me. Is there some switch I need to toggle to apply this feature?

So I'm clear, if I come back to a thread and click the main title it will take me to the post last read. Right now, I have to shuffle through posts to do that.
Old 13th October 2021, 06:33 PM   #16
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

It's always worked that way for me, going to the last unread post.
But you have to be logged in first.

Last edited by rayma; 13th October 2021 at 06:51 PM.
Old 13th October 2021, 06:48 PM   #17
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I have (almost) always been taken to the first unread post.

dave
Old 13th October 2021, 07:02 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

I see the tab now. When I click the main post it's up on the left.
Thanks fellas.
Old 13th October 2021, 07:19 PM   #19
kouiky is offline kouiky
diyAudio Member

I’d like to provide some feedback based on usage of forums over the years.

Mobile vs Desktop
One thing I love about DIYaudio is the desktop layout, even when I’m on a mobile device. The layouts of mobile versions of websites seem to be designed to waste as much screen space as possible with huge font, massive buttons and promote too much scrolling. Important tools and buttons are always missing and I have to request the desktop version of the page to regain functionality, and most won’t acknowledge that request.

Like/Upvote/Downvote Buttons
This just turns a forum into a popularity contest. The repeat problem I’ve witnessed is it gives onlookers the impression that certain posts or posters are more correct than others, which is often wrong. If someone agrees or disagrees with a post, they should have to say so and explain why. On a technical forum like DIYaudio, that promotes thinking and evidence-based posts. Voting undoes this.

Last edited by kouiky; 13th October 2021 at 07:32 PM.
Old 13th October 2021, 07:32 PM   #20
invaderzim is offline invaderzim  United States
diyAudio Member

I hope it doesn't add a user post count listing. All that does is seem to encourage posts with nothing really to them, just so people can increase their count and look more important.

Forum Migration - General Q&AHide this!Advertise here!