• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

RD50 - superdac with ES9018

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here it is some info on our future dac RD50, a highly integrated dac with USB, S/PDIF, AES/EBU and I2S/DSD inputs. It features remote control, alphanumeric display, access to ES9018 registers via user interface (a cool feature for those who want to play with ES9018 capabilities in real-time).
With the mighty XC6SLX16 Spartan6-fpga as digital front-end featuring custom digital filters (much better than the ones inside ES9018), an asynchronous FIFO and digital receiver controlled with SI570 digital programmable clock, the module can be configured in a variety of ways. The outputs from ES9018 are directly available for any suitable output stage.
With all rectification and low noise regulators on board, all that one needs to do is to apply the AC voltage. No more myryads of extra boards for USB, reclocking, supply etc - just a simple but very powerful unit - with very short signal paths for perfect signal integrity.
Any comments/thoughts are welcome.

Attachments

• RD50_3.JPG
    RD50_3.JPG
    631.5 KB · Views: 1,894
Some of the RD50 features :
- DSD over USB
- DSD over I2S port (lvds)
- up to 384K(PCM) on I2S port (lvds)
- CCHD-575 (100 MHz) master clock for asynchronous dac operation
- Cascaded Dual digital PLL
- remote control with source selection, volume control, settings
- variety of digital filters (filters inside Spartan6 and ES9018 can be switched on and off)
- 4x20 alphanumeric display
..and the list can go on. Due to the fact that firmware is under developement, I let the list open for any ideas.
Also, if there is interest for this dac module, please express it here, it can have a good impact on final pricing.

This RD50 looks great for people with small diy experience. I have a few questions:

1) Why didn't you use Organic Polymer Capacitors? They have smaller ESR and higher ripple current than Electrolytics. Also maybe there is a sense to use bypass film capacitors with electrolytic ones in case where big capacitance is needed (power supply section) and use Organic Polymer Capacitors in all other places.

2) Is this a Kit or just the module displayed on picture in the first post? Does it include MCU to control es9018 digital volume and internal registers? Alphanumeric display with IR sensor? What will be the price for a Kit that consists of this board, MCU control unit and Alphanumeric display with IR sensor?

3) Does RD50 support all formats up to 32bit 384kHz (maybe 24bit) with USB input from PC?

4) Do you have Chassis enclosure with pre-drilled and cut face and back plates that can adopt such a kit (also with little place left for Transformer and custom I/V)? If yes than what would be the price?

5) Can RD50 show the lock status and what are the minimum settings of PLL with stable lock?

This RD50 looks great for people with small diy experience. I have a few questions:

1) Why didn't you use Organic Polymer Capacitors? They have smaller ESR and higher ripple current than Electrolytics. Also maybe there is a sense to use bypass film capacitors with electrolytic ones in case where big capacitance is needed (power supply section) and use Organic Polymer Capacitors in all other places.

2) Is this a Kit or just the module displayed on picture in the first post? Does it include MCU to control es9018 digital volume and internal registers? Alphanumeric display with IR sensor? What will be the price for a Kit that consists of this board, MCU control unit and Alphanumeric display with IR sensor?

3) Does RD50 support all formats up to 32bit 384kHz (maybe 24bit) with USB input from PC?

4) Do you have Chassis enclosure with pre-drilled and cut face and back plates that can adopt such a kit (also with little place left for Transformer and custom I/V)? If yes than what would be the price?

5) Can RD50 show the lock status and what are the minimum settings of PLL with stable lock?

Hi TiEx,
let me answer point by pint.
1) We are using Rubycon ZLG which are ultra low impedance.
2) For now it's just the module, but it includes all the controls for the ES9018, remote sensor, display etc. No external MCU is needed. I will post a general diagram for better understanding of the configuration. Basically this module is 'plug and play'. Aside from the module price (about 400 euros), you need only trafos and display, eventually the remote.
3) Currently USB supports 192k (an upgrade to 384k is possible in the future) and DSD over PCM (DoP).
4) No chassis yet - it will come soon.
5) Yes, lock status and other relevant informations will be displayed. PLL setting can be set into the low range, (probably lowest - we are performing tests) because of the DPLL built into the FPGA in digital front-end.

3) Currently USB supports 192k (an upgrade to 384k is possible in the future) and DSD over PCM (DoP).

Hi,

Last month I've purchased from you the USB TO I2S converter (at 192k) which I'm using, with separate Power Supply and connected to a BII dac. I'm very happy with it and my BII sounds much much better with this module than any other SPDIF transports I've tried.
Will there also be an upgrade to this module for 384k in the future?
Thanks.

Hi,

Last month I've purchased from you the USB TO I2S converter (at 192k) which I'm using, with separate Power Supply and connected to a BII dac. I'm very happy with it and my BII sounds much much better with this module than any other SPDIF transports I've tried.
Will there also be an upgrade to this module for 384k in the future?
Thanks.

Yes, 384k will we possible at the time.

Interested as well. Just found this thread after I've been on the audiobyte website. Does the USB support linux? I would very much like 32/384 support as well. I would also be interested in a multichannel version. Is a separate IV required? Otherwise, how good is the onboard IV? Your e-store has no mention of a suitable display, remote, etc. Is the ones for the RD30 compatible? I would be interested in a chassis as well, or at least a drawing of the back panel for me to order a custom case from elsewhere. Thank you.

Interested as well. Just found this thread after I've been on the audiobyte website. Does the USB support linux? I would very much like 32/384 support as well. I would also be interested in a multichannel version. Is a separate IV required? Otherwise, how good is the onboard IV? Your e-store has no mention of a suitable display, remote, etc. Is the ones for the RD30 compatible? I would be interested in a chassis as well, or at least a drawing of the back panel for me to order a custom case from elsewhere. Thank you.

As I stated earlier in the thread, the RD50 firmware is not finalized as full functions or user interface. To make it quickly available we have chosen the same UI as for RD30 - same display and remote.
The board will need a IV - as the outputs are directly from ES9018.
The linux support exists and plays quite well - still some bugs are present though. For board mechanical drawing, see below.

Attachments

• RD50_Assembly.pdf
    48.6 KB · Views: 342
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.