Best Toccata & Fugue in D Minor?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hmmm... it seems odd that no one's replied. And yes, I've searched the forums.

Maybe I should be a bit more specific - I've seen recordings of this piece mentioned in various forums here, but usually in the context of a system test or demonstration piece (especially WRT low frequency content). Don't get me wrong, I love a good 32' pedal stop as much as the next guy, but I'm asking for a more balanced evaluation. Maybe there's a recording that doesn't have quite the bass or dynamic range, but the perormance is noteworthy, or the spaciousness and overall sound impression are unusually realistic, etc. In short, I'm asking about an overall musical experience rather than a subwoofer test.

So... anybody?

Thanks.

Reid

Hi,

I like Garry Grodberg's rendition but it is probably a rarity as I have it on LP made by russian Melodyia. Not sure if it was re-released on a CD but I know that lots of their recordings were.

There is that particular bit close to the end with arpeggionated sequence that lots of oragnists play very/quite differently and that is mostly likable/dislikable to me.

Hi
I am voting for the Hurford rendition. The penguin guide gave it a rosette and called the version outstanding. I think the same. Some folks may find it too personal an interpretation but it is my favourite.

It was recently released on cd by decca as a single and as a set. I bought the set and have not regretted it.

However I believe with organ music that it will only deliver the intended effect on a top quality audio system. I find a lot is lost on other systems

Don

Then if we don't only count organ versions, one mustn't miss the recording of Henry Woods orchestration of the piece by Toscanini and the NY Philharmonic. It might only be available on NY Philharmonics own CDs, though. (I can't remember if there is any organ too in this version, and I can't find the CD for the moment).

Sorry I can't help you with organ versions. I only have only one (Chorzempa on Philips) and have no idea how it stands up to the other recordings.

Edit:
Knowing very little about Woods transcription, I decided to google for it. Interestingly, it turns out that on the first performace of it, Woods claimed it to be by a fake (?) russian composer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Wood_(conductor)

I also found that for those who insist on modern recordings, there is one with Slatkin and the BBC Symphony O. on Chandos.

I have tried to find organ playing which is equal to that done by Helmut Walca on Duetche Grammephone in the 50's and 60's. The more I listen to him, the more I appreciate his playing style. It took a long time for me to determine what he does with his playing, and I came across a statement in the notes with a record set I found in a public library. Walca stated that he felt it was important to phrase and shape each line in the fuque as a singer shapes the phrases that are sung. The effect is subtle, but most convincing, and I have yet to hear another organist do it as well. In fact, it seems many organists are not mindful of this at all, and they come off sounding mechanical and the music has no meaning. Bach was a great writer of choral music, and it is quite possible that he believed that singing is the basis for all music. In addition to the magnificant playing, it is performed on what I believe is the best sounding organ--one built be Arp and Schitner. There are I believe are two Schitner organs in Holland, and two in northern Germany. These organs have an unusual lifelike quality to their sound, making others dull by comparison. The best organ company in the world at present Flemtrop, a Dutch builder, fanitical about sound. He starting out be studying the organs Snitner organs that he rebuilt, and now experiments with exotic material from which to manufacture the pipes. The policy is to get the better sound--whatever the cost. Whether these organs are now better that the older Schitner, I do not know. It might be possible that the Schitner organs today sound better that they did when they were new as the wood in the pipes age. I suspect that today's Stadivarias violins sound better that they did when they were first made.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.