The most power hungry music?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I reckon it's got to be electronic dance music. Prodigy springs to mind as a (fire) starter but any drum and bass tunes fit the bill. (Except that post '95 stuff where they tried to use higher pitch basslines to sound new.)
Dub reggae is also a good candidate eg Massive attack Vs Mad Professer 'Protected'

IMHO it's all down to the bass since this is where most power is used. If you can rattle your ornaments with 'Pulp Fiction' by Alex Reece without distorting your system then you have enough power.

No, I'm not one of those one-note car audio bass freaks. I just like the warm feeling I get when the bottoms of my trouser legs start to flap. YMMV. :bigeyes:

Hi,

that's No Protection by Mad Professor, where they remixed Protection by Massive Attack. Particularly Trinity Dub stands out as beautyful and mad at the same time. ;)

But how do you compare? How do you measure? And Why? :bigeyes:

I'd say, another valid answer would be: The music with the largest average volume and thus the highest RMS signal power content. That's where dynamic range (and it's compression) comes into play - low dynamic range paired with high average volume wins...

Surprisingly, I consider anything with about the same amount of "standing" (non-impulsive) bass and sub-bass as about equivalent.

For example: Drum&Bass/Techno-Electro, Dancehall/Dub, heavier Rock, Organ plays, etc.

Cheers,
Sebastian.

If I understand your question right, my vote goes to the Strapping Young Lad Alien album. It's so insanely compressed and damped it's almost impossible to make it sound loud.

It should be noted that I only have two metal albums made the last two decades or so. And the other, Leviathan Tentacles of Whorror, sounds like no other metal I have ever heard. It's not over compressed. It's too good.

Michael Gira knows loud as well as anyone. But this track is extremely compressed. I'm totally in love.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QRSSuEpI50

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
progressive psytrance, techno, progressive house, some industrial

for example:

electric universe - journey into subconscious

central processing unit - virtual flirt

vibrasphere - catapult

a lot of stuff by plastikman/richie hawtin is loaded with bass

the most power will be required by music with continuous supply of low bass (around 40 hz). 50-Cent has some solid low bass but its not continuous like a psytrance bassline so less energy overall.

Early to mid 90's electronic 'bass' music.
I still have several silly cd's with constant off and on 20 Hz and under throughout the tracks. And of course all the usual 60 Hz and down. And with the way it's all recorded.. it's not soft either. Gets old after a while, but after listening to so much of it back when I was younger.. I actually came across several that are still very pleasing to listen to. Anyway, as far as amplifier requirements are concerned.. it's about as far as you can go, and still be able to refer to it as music. Most of it is easily music, and then some is on the verge of being nothing but various test tones with a beat, lol. Good times. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.