female musicians-

I almost missed this - silly me. A true gem.

I am sorry for stating the obious here, but just whant to share.

I pick-up new music from Youtube starting with known good ones such as Stanley Clarke.

So, lets see - Stanley Clarce band 2010, Soldier. Well goose bump factor for sure, but maybe not everones cup of tea. It kind of wears off after a while. Noted the cute Japanese girl sitting by the piano. Looked a bit out of place, but, still. Her name, Hiromi Uehara.

So, more YouTubeing for Hiromi. It soon turns out she probably knows all there is about playing the piano, in every single way, style and aspect.

Now none of this is of any use (to me at least) if all what comes out is just a bunch of tones. And the the earlier Sonicbloom stuff seams to be a bit overwelming in this respect, a bit too much of everything and perhaps loosing the picture in the process. However, I have not had the time to listen through this stuff, so…

Anyway, when I started to listen to the Hiromi “Trio Project” with Antony Jackson and Simon Philips. I was lost. Litterally, I am in a musical free-fall for this music right now. My ears and hart are open and I just want more.

YouTube

One of the greatest on drums, Simon Philips, “answers” to Hiromis music and plays, seemingly flat-out, and obviously enjoys every second of it. Mr. Jackson, stays in the backround of these two combatants to keep it together. This take must be one of the better ones.

What comes out of this is a true musical statement: “Alive”, hits me with full force. Filled to the brim with “destiny” “struggle” and “release” I have a hard time keeping my tears back. It’s beond goosebumps. But you will have to listen to it a few times to understand the language.

To everyone his/her own can’t be more true for anything than music. One cannot force a musical experience onto another person, sadly it’s just how it is. But you can write about it.

In a week from now, on the 13th of May -18, Stanley Clarke will play in Stockholm and I have two tickets for the event. One for me and one for my youngest daughter.

Life is good.

/Urban

Anyway, when I started to listen to the Hiromi “Trio Project” with Antony Jackson and Simon Philips. I was lost. Litterally, I am in a musical free-fall for this music right now. My ears and hart are open and I just want more.
I'm glad you have discovered Hiromi. I have been a big fan of her for many years. I kind of like her earlier music a little better then what she is doing now.