Most depressing song?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hooha said:

On a more serious note, I find Tracy Chapman's first CD release to be full of downward emotion. Not so much depressing but very sad. But I guess it could lead to depression if you listen to it often.

We played a track from that album at our wedding (For You). I hope that doesn't say something.... ;)

I reckon the most depressing album ever has to be Nebraska by Bruce Springsteen. Where is that shotgun? It is also his best, I believe.

I've got something of a naturally introverted meloncholic character so I sometimes don't even realise I'm listening to what other people call depressing music. Happy pop music makes me more depressed than depressing music...:confused:

too depressing-

http://users.cis.net/sammy/seasons.htm

`````````````````````````````````````````````

Originally posted by tc-60guy
Yo Kev, Don't forget Johnny Cashes' cover of "Hurt"! Makes me want to get drunk and clean my shotgun every time!
-----

right after johnny, died, seen the hurt video.

one of the sadest things i'd ever seen.

when johnny saw it, he did not want to release it.

when trent r saw it, he was speechless for a while.

thats what i read

````````````````````````````````````````````

Iris from Goo Goo Dolls.
I listened to it only once or twice bec everytime i listened to that,it gave me a severe dose of depression that could'nt be nullified by any quantity of anti-depressant.
It is very painfully sung and the music complements the lyrics to deliver a killing blow.
not touching but piercing

BHD

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Vienna Teng - Passage

It's about a woman who dies in a car crash and all the things that happen at different times after the crash, how people move on, her lover gets married, people forget about her, etc...

It's a very, powerful song.

:bawling:

Saddest Song

The sad song that comes to mind "Romeo & Juliet" by Dire Straits.
The poor guy gave her everything but then another chap came along with chains of silver n gold, then she says "Romeo.. yeah I used to have a scene with him":bawling:

Another one - 'Believe in love' by Scorpions.
It starts with "how does it feel babe, to take sweet revenge... do you want me on my knees...."
How dare she do this:mad:
Love the song though, reminds me of the days spent in trepidation waiting for GF's(now wife) reply...:cannotbe: :mad:

"Dirt in the Ground" by Tom Waits.

What does it matter, a dream of love or a dream of lies?
We're all going be in the same place when we die.
Your spirit don't leave knowin', your face or your name.
Wind through your bones is all that remains.
And we're all going to be just dirt in the ground...

I_F

Here's few:

Cathedral: Reaching happiness, touching pain
My Dying Bride: From Darkest Skies
Reverend Bizarre: The Hour of Death

As many others has allready mentioned, Cashes version of Hurt is damn great and depressing. Might be the most depressing song if we would vote on this subject.

I_Forgot said:
"Dirt in the Ground" by Tom Waits.

What does it matter, a dream of love or a dream of lies?
We're all going be in the same place when we die.
Your spirit don't leave knowin', your face or your name.
Wind through your bones is all that remains.
And we're all going to be just dirt in the ground...

I_F
I own nearly all Tom Waits releases and yes, some of his work should really depress but doesn´t for me.
Listening to Waits is like you open the door to another world next to us and watching tragic experiences of different beings. Always a bit surreal and magical. I love it :)
"Poor Edward" is one of these touching songs.

I also find Nirvana's "Something in the way" is pretty depressive too.

Yeah,
Peter Gabriel "More Than This" is one of the two tunes I want to skip every times I listen to my "Peter Gabriel - Up" SACD.

Almost all Nirvana's In Utero album is depressing...
(Rape Me:
Rape me, rape me my friend
rape me, rape me again
I'm not the only one ...
Dumb:
I think I'm dumb x3
and I'm just happy
Milk It:
Doll steak, test meat (???) )

Blink 182 - F... a Dog (In the ...)
(I don't need to tell more about this one!)

And some Fleetwood Mac.

depressing stuff

¨I´m Streched on your Grave¨, traditional, I believe, and covered by Dead Can Dance, and in other instance by Sinead O´Connor.
The song is hauntingly beautiful, but very, very sad...

A lot of songs from This Mortal Coil is dangerous stuff: beautiful, dark and depressing. Better to have plenty of Prozac at hand!

Hehehe, some Leonard Cohen songs, beautiful and intriguing as they are, is stuff, literally, to die for.

Lou Reed has made some despondent material.

The Cure is dark, but they put an energy and gusto into the music that doesn`t seems depressing -to me at least-

An argentine singer-songwriter, Charly Garcìa, has penned some memorable song called ¨Viernes 3am¨-Friday 3am¨-

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=427628&songID=3686528

It`s about suicide, and about the guessed experiences of a man in the previous moments of killing herself. I believe that only a man that has been in the verge of suicide is capable of writing stuff like that: an unique, incredible -and very despondent- song. Slighty dated, but the lyrics and the melody are memorable...

I don´t know why, but some Tom Waits stuff makes me sick...
The The, P.J. Harvey, and a lot of good rock is sad or depressing.

There is some hidden connection between beauty, art and death... Rainer Rilke said "Beauty is the last veil that covers the Horrible"... Lacan said something alike.

Me: I don´t know; I love a lot of depressing music.
Makes me feel... alive.

It`s about suicide, and about the guessed experiences of a man in the previous moments of killing herself. I believe that only a man that has been in the verge of suicide is capable of writing stuff like that: an unique, incredible -and very despondent- song. Slighty dated, but the lyrics and the melody are memorable...

Sounds a lot like what we hear on commercial radio these days...

depressing music

Sounds a lot like what we hear on commercial radio these days...

yes, maybe... there is enough existencial angst in today`s world, that depressive music airwave saturation is guaranteed.
But I miss some expressive decency in much of the new stuff...

But, well, those are very delicate ìtems to deal with -death, suicide, tragic love, hate and so on-, and every generation must choose a way to express such hardships...
The problem is: when so much existencial angst is goin´on, there is a risk that it becomes a sort of ¨commoditie¨... like saying ¨so let`s sing those sad and despondent songs and money will follow!¨. And that´s the moment when ¨dark¨ becomes ¨darkie¨, and when real feelings became a redituable fashion statement...
Just compare Evanescence with Cobain...

Cheers

It's essentially Buddhist.

The road to unfolding, growth, expansion and eternity of joy itself..is filled with suffering. You can't get to the new, wtihout understanding and going through and fixing the pain of the past.

You pay for your enlightenment through intense suffering. Yin/Yang. It doesn't work any other way. Such is life! :cannotbe: :smash: :bawling: :hot: :D :angel: :cloud9:

First you crash and burn. Then you begin to go through the pain/joy of figuring it out.

Then you fly.

Simple enough, but too many 'talking monkeys' fear the fear itself, not understanding the beauty that exists on the other side. A modern 'instant gratification' problem that has nothing to do with the truth of what reality is.

Enlightenment is not free.

It comes with a price that is commensurate with it's value.

First you pay, then you fly.

So, in essence, I wish you great suffering. :p

That, looked at with open eyes, simply means that I wish you the greatest enlightenment that you can suffer.....your way to/through!

Then you get the high road. :cloud9:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.