Now Playing + What are you listening to?

Hélène Grimaud Memory on Qobuz on my computer setup (SMSL amp, iFi nano, Lance DIY speakers). Her picture on the cover stopped me dead in my tracks when I first saw it. The funny thing is when I mentioned her to my daughter the piano major, she told me how great she is as a pianist. We went to see her together at Carnegie Hall and she was great.

How do you get to Carnegie Hall? The Q train, because my kids certainly didn't practice! All three have performed there.

Bonnie Raitt - Give it up. I used to play this all the time back in the 80s, but I gotta say it is very poorly recorded. It just sounds like nobody was paying attention. Her guitar, and she's a great guitarist, sounds like someone is just playing in the background, her voice is overshadowed by the band, and there is no balance at all. Maybe there's a remastered version somewhere, my copy is an old vinyl.

I looked on Qobuz and there is a remastered version and it sounds a little better, but still has its flaws. Maybe the original master is just recorded that way.

Last edited: