best drum solo or recording?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2002
Gerry Garcia

Wailing on his wall of drums at Copps Colleseum in Hamilton Ontario. Sadly the last Gratefull Dead concert it was my pleasure to attend. Near the bands end they advised against drug use...when asked about this turn by a reporter..."why the change? you used to promote drug use!?" Gerry's answer? "we didn't promote it...we cellibrated it!"

We lost one of the best musicians ever IMHO with his passing.

zardoz

Drum solos

I have always loved the drum solo John Guerin did on the 'Tom Cat' album with the L.A. Express way back in 1974, on the track 'Mondo'. Remains one of the best solos I have heard. His hands are great but I love the way he incorporated his bass drum into the solo, brilliant! He recently passed away, which is sad, he was a good one!

Also, I love the solo Cobham did on 'One Word' from 'Birds of Fire'. I love that marching band feel he laid down.

www.electriceyes.us

My favourites are Led Zeppelin's Bonham, Tool's Danny Carey and Slayer's Dave Lombardo. It's not just how technical these guys can get that grabs me, it's how they mesh with their band they augment every lyric, guitar and bass note. It always blows me away how Lombardo can play a fill evrey 5s in each song but it never comes off as cheesy. Another thing that amazes me is how all of these guys add subtle complexity to passages that other drummers would leave simple, instead of boom ba ba boom it's boom paba ba baBoom...the cat left scat ;)
I also love the japanese KODO...amazing, especially on my bl horns, soooo dynamic.

Illusus said:
My favourites are Led Zeppelin's Bonham, Tool's Danny Carey and Slayer's Dave Lombardo. It's not just how technical these guys can get that grabs me, it's how they mesh with their band they augment every lyric, guitar and bass note.

I think a perfect example of that is "Moby Dick" from the The Song Remains the Same soundtrack, which deserves mention in this thread.

I like this recording very much.

The Butcher:D

Attachments

• ex-spiral7.jpg
    ex-spiral7.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 348
Jon Hiseman

from Colliseum,
I'm copying all my 70s reel to reel tapes to CD at the moment,
and came across his drum solo called 'time machine'
....a very competent live solo & doesn't get boring as so many can

I think my fave drummer is Jack deJohnette though...
Pete McK

I must put my hand up for

Mr Roy Haynes!

More than 50 years of exciting, inventive jazz drumming in a unique style unmatched by anyone else. My first ear-opener was "Thelonious Monk in Action at the Five Spot". The times I sat, a pimply youth, at my kit and tried to cover his moves on that solo on "Rhythmaning".....
Oh man!
Love that guy :)

Brian.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.