Best Soundtracks Ever

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For a soundtrack album to be of interest to me, it has to have predominately original material. And a great film score doesn't necessarily make for a great album. End of excuses, here are some of my favourites.

Green Snake
I recommend you see the movie first. They are equally great.

Once Upon a Time in China
The theme is culled from an old Chinese army song, "Under the General's Order." It was the most demanding work James Wong ever did. "Condensing the more than 500 bars of the original into 100 or so bars was no easy task." It cost him more to make it than what he got paid. Most of the 17 tracks are variations on the theme, including some jazz influences. Your sub will pay off with this.

Ashes of Time
Actor, director, screen fighter, singer, composer Frankie Chan's masterpiece.

The Love Eterne
No need for the out-of-print CD. You search the DVD by songs. There are 22. It's said to be the best huangmei (plum blossom) opera film. Some people in Taipei, Taiwan, reportedly saw it more than 100 times on the theatrical run! It played for 186 days there. (It might be hard to believe today, but movies used to be big.) Co-director King Hu hated it. He never saw it. He and Li Han-hsiang shot their scenes separate, set during different seasons. It's still stunning. The ending is cheesy.

A Moment of Romance
I don't have the soundtrack album and can't speak for it. But the haunting theme by Beyond should be enough.

How the West Was Won
I don't like the movie (too many cooks...) and really not my kind of music. But I still agree with rick57. (Can't be original all the time.)

Pat Garret & Billy the Kid
Again, not a very good movie.

Ipcress File - John Barry
Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence - Ryuichi Sakamoto
Hot Spot - Jack Nitzsche
Betty Blue - Gabriel Yared
Last Tango in Paris - Gato Barbieri
The Nightmare Before Christmas - Danny Elfman
25th hour - Terence Blanchard
Conversation - David Shire

most of Bernard Hermann, Jerry Goldsmith, Alex North, Michel Legrand, Lalo Schifrin, Roy Budd, Kenyon Hopkins

The Mahabharata.

It has a couple goofy things on it, but Sarmila Roy has a perfect voice that fits the sad tone of much of the music. There are a few technical issues but the music and especially the singing overcome any shortcomings in the recording quality.

I_F

rdf said:

Personal fave: 'The Day the Earth Stood Still'. Yes, I'm a geek.

yes - very good soundtrack. I have part of this on a compilation DECCA CD, coupled with 7th Voyage of Sinbad, Journey to the Center of the earth and fahrenheit 451 . Demonstration class even though the recordings are quite old. I think the CD is deleted, but the version listed in amazon marketplace also has tracks from Gullivers travels. These performances are all conducted by the great man himself

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...31313/sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_8_4/026-7323196-2798812

Blow Up, Antonioni, Herbie Hancock
Zabriskie Point, Antonioni , Pink Floyd
The Pawnbroker , Quincy Jones
Ascenseur Pour Lechafaud, Miles Davis
Any Fellini film, scored by Nino Rota
Any Western scored by Ennio Morrocione
Suspiria , Dario Argento, the Goblins
Midnight Cowboy, John Barry
Thief, Tangerine Dream
Rainbow Bridge, Jimi Hendrix
Donnie Darko (var. 8o's)
Star Wars (orig. ) John Williams
Radio Days, Woody Allen
Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence, Ruichi Sakamoto
Tony Takitani, Ryuichi Sakamoto
Lady Sings the Blues, Diana Ross
Gothic, Ken Russell
200 Motels, Frank Zappa + Mothers

"Until the End of the World," a wonderful disc that introduced me to Jane Siberry.

Yesss, wonderful and eclectic soundtrack; the movie in itself is so-so.
With that soundtrack I was introduced too Jane Siberry too; also, to Daniel Lanois, Neneh Cherry... And it features a fantastic Nick Cave song, some kind of noire story with music to booth... cool.

I also liked the ¨Magnolia¨ movie soundtrack -and the movie in itself, so dark and delicate- very much.

¨Natural Born Killers¨ is a nineties classic.

¨Sling Blade¨ has some wonderful work from Daniel Lanois.

¨Stealing Beauty¨, from Bertolucci...

¨Pretty in Pink¨ -eighties pop and postpunk stuff, nicely balanced-

¨Zabriskie Point¨, ¨Obscured by Clouds¨, ¨The Wall¨

¨The Pianist¨ soundtrack makes a good, soft and not difficult classical entry.

I liked a lot the intro music of ¨The Dawn of Dead¨ -The Man Comes Around¨, by Johnny Cash... the juxtaposition of the music and the violent scenes of street slaughtering is...surreal and frightening.

very nice soundtrack - for a not very good movie

Attachments

• simon.jpg
    simon.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 134
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.