Brian Wilson presents SMiLE!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
On the recommendation of a very good friend, I went out and purchased Brian Wilson's SMiLE. I thought that I'd share my thoughts about it.

Simply put, WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

A bit of personal background; I am not a Beach Boys fan. I always figured that they were surfer be-bop sounds that frankly didn't interest me. That was the end of my interest...until now!

The best analogy that I can draw is one of looking at a fine painting or tapistry. I think the tapistry is closer to what I felt while listening... The weaving of the different musical styles creates a 3-D landscape that is astounding. It is without a doubt the finest mind-candy that I've experienced in many many years; possibly ever! It was also like a breath of fresh air when I heard it.

The analogy that I've drawn for friends is this; think of standing somewhere on a hot day and all of a sudden a gentle, cool breeze sweeps across you. That's as close to the feeling describing this album as I can get. It's magic!

Some will think parts of it are too weird. Fair enough... It is a concept album that is designed to be played start to finish and it was envisioned to be a journey while also celebrating the positive things in life. 38 years ago when it was conceived there had never been another rock concept album. The Beatles' Sargent Peppers album didn't exist and the closest thing was Pet Sounds, also by Brian Wilson. This was his "Teenage symphony to God" as he put it back then.

In 1965 Brian Wilson set out to create an album that encompassed what defined America (no small undertaking if you really think about it). Just as the process was nearing completion, he suffered a major nervous breakdown. Drugs, severe mental illness, and ridicule of his work by the other Beach Boys who didn't understand it combined to send him into a downward spiral for the next 30 years!!! Pretty much everyone that knew him had written him off for dead. As a side note, throughout history when this has happened to other great artists, it has usually killed them. In Brian's case, with the love and support of a new wife, loving and supportive friends, the correct medication, and an unbelievable band, he's back in a big way. That's honestly an understatement! He's back with two new albums in the same year one of which is the massive undertaking that nearly killed him!

Within the first 5 minutes of SMiLE, I realized that I was listening to a living genius. The music and lyrics paint a picture in your mind and simply carry you away. By the end of the second movement, it's as if something has bypassed your head and directly connected to your heart. It's beauty and creativity are mindblowing.

There will be people that will criticize the work for one reason or another. I would say to them, "get over it". The recordings from the 60's weren't meant to come out then for whatever reason. Be happy with the fact that Wilson has finally released the work and in the process personally triumphed. Also rejoice in the quality with which it's put together. Sure it's different than the few pieces that were released in the 60's and early 70's. No Brian's voice is not what it was when he was 24 but it's still excellent (he's now 62). That having been said, I feel the work stands on its own fully and completely and is as fresh today as it was back then. By using outstanding musicians as well as vocalists, he has created a musical weaving that is simply like no other that I have ever heard.

I've been listing to this pretty much nonstop for a week now. Each time I hear it, I hear something new that I haven't heard before. I also find that I am not the least bit tired of it and find myself thinking about and humming different parts of during the day while at work.

From an audio perspective, be prepared for a HUGE soundstage with lots of stuff going on. With a decent audio system, you will be amazed! It's also worth noting that it has been released on vinyl as well...

Finally, if you are someone who wants a "pop" album similar to what you hear on the radio today, don't buy this CD. If on the other hand, you are open to something totally new and are ready to have your musical boundaries expanded, grab this and run. It's a gift given to each of us by a very gifted artist. It's also worth noting that "Beautiful Dreamer - the story of SMiLE" is running on Showtime right now for those who are lucky enough to have it... It's the story of what Wilson went through on his journey back and gives you an idea of the mountain(s) that he had to climb. He's an amazing man!

Brian's objective in creating SMiLE was to show music could be viewed in the same manner as abstract art. I think he achieved his goal and then some. I wouldn't be surprised, if when history is written, this ends up being one of the greatest pop works of the 20th century!

http://www.brianwilson.com/

Enjoy and...

SMiLE!!!!

Forgot to mention a couple of things...

This was recorded using a custom built all tube console. It also was recorded at Sunset Studios in Hollywood, the same place the original work was done in the 60's.

I linked to his website but failed to mention checking out the reviews section.

This is a three movement rock opera. Be prepared to take a musical trip across America.

This is a completely new recording. They didn't use any of the original tapes from the 60's (except for inspiration).

For those interested in more of Brian's story and how this project came about, look here:

http://www.brianwilson.com/media/words/wash_post.html

Enjoy and SMiLE,

I just got my copy of Smile today. I must say I was very disappointed in the sound quality. You can barely understand the words unless there is little else going on.

The sound quality is just plain MUDDY. On the overall, a poorly engineered recording.

The songs also impressed my as pretty much silly unless you want to hear about, for example, someone eating their vegatables.

Not only that, the whole thing is too short. 47 minutes. That that I object to that - it minimized my suffering.

I won't be recommending this album to anyone.

I'd like to hear some other opinions about the sound quality to verify that I haven't lost my mind sometime during the day.

Hmmmmm....

Sorry Bill....

I feel badly now and it's the last time I recommend any music...

I am puzzled by your muddy comment though...

I've heard this so far on Vandersteen 5a's with Wadia equipment on the front end, Apogees with Threshold and Proceed on the front end, and large Advents with a basic Sony receiver on the front end. At no time was it ever muddy sounding.

When I took it to a store and auditioned in on the Vandersteen/Wadia equipment, half a dozen people sat down and listened to the whole thing...

I'm sorry you don't like the music, but I am very suspicious of your muddy comment (ie - perhaps something is not correct at your end)... Not saying this to be insulting in any way, just worth considering.

Anyway, I'm bummed because I'd really hoped you'd enjoy it...

Don't feel bad about the recommendation as I'm sure it was given in good faith.

Regarding the quality, if I didn't have CDs that sounded good then I could admit that I have a marginal system. Everything is functioning properly.

My system may not be the best but with a Marantz 63SE, GAS power amps (bi-amped) and some decent woofs and satellites, my only cause for complaint are the many poor CDs available.

I'm hoping that others will speak up as to the sound quality they experience. There is a mystery here and I would like to find an explanation.

I too would be interested in the mystery...

I've read lots of reviews about the album (mostly positive but also a few negative) and not once have I read any negatives about the engineering or production. The only engineering comments that I have read have been very positive.

According to Mark Linett (the recording engineer) posting on the Brian Wilson message board, this has even been featured in both EQ and Sound on Sound magazines:

"(posted by Mark Linett on November 20, 2004)

SMile was recorded 24 bit at a samplerate of 88.2 Khz. If we do a surround version both it and the stereo mix would be presented at that rate. If you are interested in the details of the recording check out the latest issue of EQ magazine or last months Sound On Sound. "

The vocals definitely aren't "out there" by themselves like a Nora Jones or Ricki Lee Jones album but it's a different animal altogether. The sound (that I hear) is layered and the soundstage is HUGE (both wide and deep). There is so much going on the recording all of the time that perhaps that is what is sounding muddy (I'm guessing here). The vocals are used as instruments also and the overall effect is a like a "weaving" for lack of a better term...

However, at no time has it sounded muddy to my ears...

They do, do a fair amount of compression and manipulation of the vocals at different points in the recording but it's always used as a short-term effect not for a whole song for example.

The music is definitely different, but if you think of how you would describe America in music then somehow I think it strangely fits...

Rhino is even releasing this thing tomorrow (Nov 23rd) on 180 gram Quietex vinyl.

Anyway, I too would be very interested in other's opinions.

the first time I listened to it I had the cans on (using the computer's CD-ROM and Windows media player) -- then I listened with my KEFB139/B110/Audax Reflex speakers, Arcam, Adcom and GC system -- and the sound via speakers was much more alive.

I believe that SMILE is about the 2nd most bootlegged recording of all time -- Stereophile has a history in this month's issue.

Jack

NPR Creators at Carnegie Special

For those who are interested in hearing SMiLE live as well as the background on it and the opening set, check out the following link...

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4182988

It's worth listening to both parts 1 and 2.

Part 2 is the SMiLE album.

To those who thought his mind was blown, consider this; approximately 1/3 of the SMiLE album is new material....

The whole album's goal is to make people smile :) After all, when was the last time you heard "Row Row Row Your Boat" at Carnegie Hall????

Enjoy and Happy Holidays!

Re: NPR Creators at Carnegie Special

Apogee said:
After all, when was the last time you heard "Row Row Row Your Boat" at Carnegie Hall????

didn't the "Weavers" sing it at Carnegie Hall ? (actually, they did sing "Hush, Hush Little Baby", but I digress.. .)

and let us not forget the day we celebrate !
"...yes Officer Opie, I did put that piece of paper at the bottom of that pile of trash."

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.