Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

I generally don't listen to, let alone analyze song lyrics.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th September 2021, 12:36 PM   #11
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I love 'the piano has been drinking'
Old 28th September 2021, 12:44 PM   #12
Jazz Man is offline Jazz Man  Wales
Banned/scottjoplin ii

Quote:
Originally Posted by billshurv View Post
So who has misheard lyrics for years?
Everyone I should think I know I've misheard many of Kate Bush's lyrics and my mishearings made sense until I read her lyrics and then THEY made sense
Old 28th September 2021, 12:48 PM   #13
wwwtttwww is offline wwwtttwww  Canada
diyAudio Member

not always but sometimes, understanding song lyrics enhances music enjoyments.

people don't want to eat just pepper or pure salt. but adding them on steak makes the steak more tasty.
Old 28th September 2021, 12:56 PM   #14
kepa1 is offline kepa1  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonken View Post
There are foreign language singers that I enjoy even though I can't understand one word they say (for example, MC Solaar - a French-Senegalese rapper).
The fact that you mention MC Solaar is interesting since he is one of the first rappers here who has had a classical approach of French song-writing. I mean his way to write lyrics with poetic / literary manners, with the use of rare words, references to other arts, and lots of "jeux de mots" (playing with words, would be the simplest translation).

For him and his audience (for me too), lyrics are as important as the music. I even see him as a missing point between the older Chanson Franšaise and the younger generations, including the rap audience.
Old 28th September 2021, 01:02 PM   #15
SRMcGee is offline SRMcGee  United States
diyAudio Member

I generally listen to the flow -- the combination of the music and lyrics. Both need to be harmonious. Songs that tell a story or have something meaningful to relay are certainly more impactful for me. I usually find overly repetitive lyrics tiresome. There are some bands I avoid because I think their lyrics to be consistently stupid (not to name names, but one such example begins with "Foreigner"), but for the most part I'm pretty forgiving.

I generally don't listen to, let alone analyze song lyrics.Hide this!Advertise here!