Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

Do you know any stereo song that suck when mixed down to mono?
Do you know any stereo song that suck when mixed down to mono?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th September 2021, 09:42 PM   #1
guferr is offline guferr
diyAudio Member

Default Do you know any stereo song that suck when mixed down to mono?

I'm testing an algorithm for stereo to mono mixing and I'm looking for any song that, when digitally mixed from stereo to mono, completely sucks.

And I mean as in having tons of artifacts, not just being too different from the original.

Any songs that spread the instruments over the sound stage a lot will of course be way different in mono, but I'm looking for something that's particularly bad in mono, something where you have phase cancellation messing up the mix.

Do you know any song like that?

Thanks!
Old 4th September 2021, 11:24 PM   #2
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I always listen to stereo mixed to mono on my 1980 Fane 12-50 speaker W bin.
The all sound fine to me.
Old 5th September 2021, 12:34 AM   #3
guferr is offline guferr
diyAudio Member

I mean, yeah, well mixed stereo songs will rarely have large issues because avoiding artifacts due to interference is one of the goals in mixing.

Mono portable radios and speakers always existed, as well as stereo radios with little separation between the speakers, so I guess that any good mix should sound good when simply adding the channels together.

However some songs have issues and I'm looking for them now.

I heard some song in mono just last week and it sounded terrible but I can't remember what song it was.
Old 5th September 2021, 01:32 AM   #4
benb is offline benb  United States
diyAudio Member

I suppose recordings in quadraphonic 4-to-2-channel encodings such as SQ or QS would have something drop out.

I'm guessing your terrible-sounding song was recorded in the 70s or before, as those doing the mix were less careful about checking a stereo mix in mono.
Old 5th September 2021, 03:46 AM   #5
wg_ski is offline wg_ski  United States
diyAudio Member

I would suspect that a lot of MP3 rips will sound awful in mono. Even the GOOD ones are terrible on L-R mode (ie, intermittent ground on a headphone plug). lLiterally sounds like someone added a variable delay to one channel, sitting there twiddling the knob that sets the amount of delay. Phasing cancellation notches that move all over the spectrum, continuously. Some are particularly awful, and might be just as bad in L+R.
Old 8th September 2021, 03:31 AM   #6
Dave R is offline Dave R  United States
diyAudio Member

I would guess that some tracks that fade certain parts from left to right (or vice versa) would not sound right in mono.

Some that come to mind are Pink Floyd or maybe Beck.
Old 8th September 2021, 04:47 AM   #7
mdpaudio is offline mdpaudio
diyAudio Member

Anything that uses phase to move the sound between left and right. I’m talking to you Pink Floyd!
Old 15th September 2021, 01:43 AM   #8
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Welcome my son, welcome to the machine - would be pretty damned lifeless in mono, AFAIC.
Old 15th September 2021, 03:56 AM   #9
dotneck335 is offline dotneck335  United States
diyAudio Member

Early Beatles recordings (that were done in mono), when remastered to stereo, sounded AWFUL when played back mono.
  Reply to this post

Do you know any stereo song that suck when mixed down to mono?Hide this!Advertise here!