Do you know any stereo song that suck when mixed down to mono?

I'm testing an algorithm for stereo to mono mixing and I'm looking for any song that, when digitally mixed from stereo to mono, completely sucks.

And I mean as in having tons of artifacts, not just being too different from the original.

Any songs that spread the instruments over the sound stage a lot will of course be way different in mono, but I'm looking for something that's particularly bad in mono, something where you have phase cancellation messing up the mix.

Do you know any song like that?

Thanks!

I mean, yeah, well mixed stereo songs will rarely have large issues because avoiding artifacts due to interference is one of the goals in mixing.

Mono portable radios and speakers always existed, as well as stereo radios with little separation between the speakers, so I guess that any good mix should sound good when simply adding the channels together.

However some songs have issues and I'm looking for them now.

I heard some song in mono just last week and it sounded terrible but I can't remember what song it was.

I suppose recordings in quadraphonic 4-to-2-channel encodings such as SQ or QS would have something drop out.

I'm guessing your terrible-sounding song was recorded in the 70s or before, as those doing the mix were less careful about checking a stereo mix in mono.

I would suspect that a lot of MP3 rips will sound awful in mono. Even the GOOD ones are terrible on L-R mode (ie, intermittent ground on a headphone plug). lLiterally sounds like someone added a variable delay to one channel, sitting there twiddling the knob that sets the amount of delay. Phasing cancellation notches that move all over the spectrum, continuously. Some are particularly awful, and might be just as bad in L+R.

"The type of mastering process used by Quincy Jones....."
Quincy Jones was the producer, NOT the mixing engineer---that would be Bruce Swedien, disciple of Bill Putnam, and one of the finest recording engineers on the planet.

Yes, Quincy isn't a recording engineer, but he oversaw most of his work in the mastering phase. I agree, Bruce Swedien was a genius engineer. Bernie Grrundman was the mastering engjneer on Thriller and most other Quincy Jones produced albums.

Quincy has trademarked what he calls "Q-sound", whlich was used in the recording and mastering process in most of his 80s albums. Bruce Swedien's "Accusonic" is similar and I believe the two processes were related, based on the way his and Quincy's stuff sound. They both use odd micing techniques and phase trickery to give the illusion of a wide soundstage, but it isn't what you'd call true to source. Also, if you look at the audio waveforms on most of Qs late 80s on work, it has a ton of DC offsef, mainly from the VCAs low cutoff points in the compression and noise reduction stages. Just crank up MJ's "Bad" and look at your woofer slowly getting sucked in and out at alarming amplitudes.

The Studer 90° Degree Filter

This active 90° filter is used to form a monophonic signal from the left and right channel of stereo signals. Simple mixing of the left and right channel will not produce a mono signal of satisfactory quality, but results in an emphasis of the center information. By summing the stereo signals in a 90° phase-shifted manner, this undesirable effect can be avoided.