Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

About the sound of Vinyl, and it crack sounds
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th June 2021, 07:21 AM   #1
hpro is offline hpro  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Default About the sound of Vinyl, and it crack sounds

Hi everyone,

How much scratching noise would you allow a Vinyl LP to have which could be conisdered as disturbing.
I have three scenarios,
1st. Beginning of the Record and end of the Record some scratching, one car hear but is an real low level. But no noise while Music is playing, not even on low level volume.

2nd. Just little scratching, which can be heard while recordet music plays low volume passages and not real loud scratching but would not really be reconizable while music is loud.

3. Hearable Scratchs once a while, because of bad Record surface.

I know the best there is to have no noise at all. But this is sometimes quite tricky when the Original Record has been Manufactured 20 - 50 years ago. And who ever owned the Record, did not care too much of keeping the record clean.

Especially then when the Record was manufactured as a limited edition and price would be well above the regular record price from that time back or toady.

I have some of these Records, and I also already recordet them onto my Media Data Bank, so I do not need to play the record all the time, but as you know, for Audiophiles, *Most of them* records are the A and O of Sound reproducing Media.

What do you think?
Thanks for any input.
Old 17th June 2021, 09:59 PM   #2
Galu is online now Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Even my 1967 mono Sgt. Pepper album, which was originally played with a mono crystal cartridge, produces no crackling noises when played today.

It's knowing that a loud click is due to appear when the stylus reaches a certain point on my War of the Worlds LP that I find disturbing!

P.S. I don't digitise my LPs. I make a point of playing them, as I am wearing out faster than they are!
Old 17th June 2021, 10:30 PM   #3
jjasniew is offline jjasniew  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm wholly spoiled by today's technology and would only accept the presence of any ticks, pops and surface noise for nostalgic reasons.

One time I bough a Jack Dejohnette / Jan Hammer album new from the student record shop and it had a full half turn of surface noise. Later when I owned the CD, my mind would "expect" to hear it on those tracks.

One time I bought a CD from a little record store in Hudson, MA. (Years later, I saw the guy as a record authority on "Antiques Roadshow") I was shocked when I played it; it was a digitized LP, complete with tics and pops - they didnt even edit out the needle drop at the beginning...

I have to wonder if it's a matter of taking good care of your records, or, is it an inevitable aspect of the media? I cant imagine an LP lasting 50-60 years, without accumulating some distinctive background noise. Maybe in time, the mind's filter just runs right along with the cut.
Old 18th June 2021, 06:10 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks,
some 5 years ago I ordered EAGLES - The Long Road Out Of Eden.
180Gramm Vinyl, unpacked it. First time on the Turntable (Revox B795b) Stylus was a Ortofon Turbo3 MC, and crackling noise was there from the beginning..
Only after a 20 minutes Clean action with Ultra Sonic Cleaner, the Record was OK to Listen..

@Galu
are you sure that SGT.Peppers Album is Mono?

I have this one also, but this is Stereo,
Mine is from EMI 1967 Made in great Britain by Parlophone.
I'm aware that this Album has been made at several places all througout the globe..
then this would be a Rarity for sure, and therefore high price, also the sleeve of it, is not the same for every Album..
Nice to know.
Old 18th June 2021, 06:23 AM   #5
picowallspeaker is offline picowallspeaker  Italy
diyAudio Member

Probably It was mono, because the Pink Floyd were recording their first record in the same days in the same EMI studios, and It was mono. Then re-edited in stereo some months later.
BTW I have bought PF's Animals second hand and I love the cracle and pops of that record...
Old 18th June 2021, 09:46 AM   #6
johnmath is online now johnmath  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjasniew View Post
I cant imagine an LP lasting 50-60 years, without accumulating some distinctive background noise.
I picked up an 1980 Australian pressing of Dave Brubeck Collection for a buck at a garage (yard) sale. Wow, oh wow! Vinyl done properly is fantastic. Digital recording rarely sounds as good as these old black plastic thingies.

Last edited by johnmath; 18th June 2021 at 09:54 AM.
Old 18th June 2021, 09:53 AM   #7
johnmath is online now johnmath  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpro View Post
@Galu
According to Discogs there's been 588 different vinyl pressings of Sgt Peppers around the world over the years, around 90 of those vinyl releases are mono.
Old 18th June 2021, 11:32 AM   #8
Galu is online now Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpro View Post
@Galu
Yes, it's an original mono pressing which I purchased in 1967.

The original mono pressings have 'THE GRAMOPHONE CO LTD' perimeter print on the label and 'SOLD IN U.K. SUBJECT TO RESALE PRICE CONDITIONS, SEE PRICE LISTS' above the centre spindle hole.

Not rare, but sought after.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Original Mono Sgt. Pepper's.jpg (66.3 KB, 168 views)
Old 18th June 2021, 04:09 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Nice, Keep that one locked up, I think there are no more that many around..
Great
Old 18th June 2021, 05:06 PM   #10
myleftear is offline myleftear  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjasniew View Post
I cant imagine an LP lasting 50-60 years, without accumulating some distinctive background noise..

Some of the records I have are like 60 yrs old (from my dadís collection), no pops or ticks, others that I bought new were so unlistenable I got a second copy and then, grumbling, a cd of it because it was bad quality by design, so I donít think it is due to ageingÖ

About the sound of Vinyl, and it crack soundsHide this!Advertise here!