About the sound of Vinyl, and it crack sounds

Joined 2017
Paid Member
For fellow cheapskates with really dirty vinyl - I use kids PVA glue (£2 a litre) - brush on and leave to dry and then remove with luke warm water and a final rinse of deionised water.

Not perfect but it does make records playable for 2p a record

I once tried this on a obsolete record just to see. I wasn’t really satisfied, but perhaps the record was in a totally deolate condition so nothing would have helped. I also got a little suspicious about the ecological footprint of this method…

this was not directed at you, Galu, just for general..

This wasn't against you, Galu.. It just Experience from my early days end sixties beginning seventies... I learned one thing, never get a Record wet as long as the Record is on the turn table..I broke a Turbo 3 Ortofon MC Cartridge, a few years back, with wiping a record with a very aggressive cleaning fluid. that head cost 500USD.. No way to repair. there was some fluid left over in the track and it piled up on the needle, and disolved the Rubber fitting of the Needle, so finally the needle fell out..
And MC you change all not only the needle..say Stylus.
Today in the Record shop we still get records which were processed with LENCO CLEAN..form the past 50 years.. that was the name of this fluid...and it takes at least 3 times 20 minutes to get that stuff out again of the track..But we can revive them all unless these are physically damaged.
I for one respect each and everyone who tries to give good approaches to end that dust dilemma on Records.. I'm working on that subject for more than 5 Years, developed several Record Fastener for that Ultra Sonic Machines.. and then we uild them, say modified them so those works for our needs.

I have Mark Knopflers Shangrila Vinyl, this one is traded for 300 - 500 USD depend in what shape the Record is.
I also have Ragpiekers Dream of Mark Knopfler, same price.. These are sealed into Plastic.. Air Thight.
My associate just told me yesterday that the SGT. PEPPERS of you would be around 1000 - 1500 US$..this is a record very very seldom found.
Enjoy weekend guys and thanks for any input..

I once tried this on a obsolete record just to see. I wasn’t really satisfied, but perhaps the record was in a totally deolate condition so nothing would have helped. I also got a little suspicious about the ecological footprint of this method…

Some records have irreparable damage to the grooves so no amount of cleaning will help - but this has rescued quite a few unplayables for me.

My experience is that record pops and clicks are most disturbing on phono equalizers (anti-RIAA EQ) built with transistors or integrated circuits. There are differences of course. But the unwanted noise is not so annoying on tube based equalizers, even if the gain, frequency response etc. main parameters are identical.
Commonly solid state phono preamplifiers implement the RIAA equalisation through the feedback network and are prone to (I think) transient intermodulation distortion; certainly poor overload performance.

The cheesy two transistor feedback pair running off a low voltage single supply often had slew rate problems when faced with the relatively high peak voltages that come off a moving magnet cartridge at high frequency, before the feedback correction. The first stage bias is so low that it can’t charge the compensation cap before the stage cuts off. The sound is almost indistinguishable from stylus mistracking - it’s not subtle at all. When it happens you know it. Tube circuits and real discrete op amps used in better equipment have more voltage headroom so this is less of a problem. High speed op amps that can do rail to rail at 20 kHz or more without slewing do ok too. But try an LM358 and it will be worse that that cheap two transistor circuit.

It's knowing that a loud click is due to appear when the stylus reaches a certain point on my War of the Worlds LP that I find disturbing!

I haven't used records since I got my first CD player back in the late 80s. I still remember where the loud clicks were on specific tracks and expect them at times even when listening to the CD of the same album. Those CDs are now files on a hard drive and the clicks are all in my head. :)

Tom

I'm lucky enough to have an integrated valve amplifier, and its valve MM cartridge stage certainly doesn't emphasise surface noise.

I built a Velleman RIAA MM pre-amp (kit K2573) for a friend who wanted to digitise his albums, and substituted a 5532 dual op amp for the one supplied.

According to Douglas Self, "there is probably no music on the planet that has not passed through a hundred or more 5532s on its way to the consumer".

P.S. I see my image of the Watts Dust Bug, packaged along with its bottle of antistatic fluid, went AWOL from my post #40.

So, just to prove I am not hallucinating, I will attach it here for future reference.

Attachments

• Dust Bug Package.jpg
    Dust Bug Package.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 78
I haven't used records since I got my first CD player back in the late 80s. I still remember where the loud clicks were on specific tracks and expect them at times even when listening to the CD of the same album. Those CDs are now files on a hard drive and the clicks are all in my head. :)

Tom
I remember buying Dark Side of The Moon on CD in about 1985 and being somewhat disillusioned with the sound quality compared to the vinyl record I already owned. I used to get the sound engineers from work around home and sync the vinyl with the CD and ask them which one they thought was the CD. They always picked the vinyl record as being the CD (as long as I wasn't playing between tracks)!

According to Douglas Self, "there is probably no music on the planet that has not passed through a hundred or more 5532s on its way to the consumer".

This statement is a bit exaggerated and/or untrue.

Professional equipments including older SSL/Neve consoles come with mostly 5534, not 5532. (and they are not the ones made by TI nor JRC. :)) Opamp did not exist before 70's, and hard to find 5532/5534 in pro equipments used in the studio after 2010. Majority of modern classical recordings are done with Millenia, and they don't use 5534. Also, even we see hundreds of 5534 in an old mixing console, signal passes only a few opamps after mixbus. Before mixbus, each tracks may pass a lot of opamps, but 30 at most. At mastering stage, a few more opamps.

Many (most?) opamps are used as buffers.

Last edited:
I used this model and bought it from Conrad for 42CHF..
[URL="https://www.kaiserkraft.ch/klimageraete/luftreiniger/luftionisierer-und-reiniger/fuer-raeume-bis-46-m/p/M10066997/?articleNumber=589400[/URL]
But it din't last that long, about 9 months.. And it cleans a room of max 10 m2, more you will not feel but it's always enough to get the dust off the turn table
I DIY one, there are many circuits on the net..if you use one which has the abilty to keep Room Air Clean, then it's ok just to place them within one Meter of the turntable... and I can assure you dust will be reduced by 90%.
I used an ionizer (not an electrostatic dust trap) in our living room, not for protecting my discs, but because of negative ions were said beneficial for the wellbeing. I noticed after one month or two that black soot deposited gradually on the walls. It was most noticable in the corners. So I stopped using it. Probably a low power device in the vicinity of the turntable, operated for a few minutes per day would not harm.

@ lcsaszar Quote>

I noticed after one month or two that black soot deposited gradually on the walls. It was most noticable in the corners.

I know this very well, it happens when in the room where the Ionizer is used, people smoking cigarettes. Also this is from the "High Power Ionizers."And while these are working, under the ceiling you can hear them well when these unload the highvoltages..
It will not happen if you use Ionizers with less than 10 Watts Power..
In Old TV's there was a Flyback Trasformer which made the highvoltage for the TV Picture Tube.
When opened the back cover on that TV we could find the Dust all over it from the Ionization in the TV itself. Also the Picture Tube was full of that Dust..
So long time ago till 2002, I owed a TV Shop in Bangkok, Thailand, were our daily work was Reparing TV's. And one day in the past ten years, I remembered this and that was the time when I tried to use this EFFECT of the FLYBACK Transformer, So I build a DIY Ionizer, to remove dust from my Records. And sometime later I bought that one from Conrad, because it was cheap and used only little electricity compared to the one I build in DIY.

And it really works.

I remember buying Dark Side of The Moon on CD in about 1985 and being somewhat disillusioned with the sound quality compared to the vinyl record I already owned.
When the Moody Blues core seven albums first became available on Compact Disc, I compared them with my original vinyl copies in the company of a friend.

We were in complete agreement that, sound wise, the CDs were a pale imitation of the LPs.

I'll add that the CD player and turntable/cartridge combination were of comparable monetary value.