What is Your Favorite Recording of The Planets?

I guess my favorite would be the Telarc version. Mostly because I'm used to it as I've had it for many years on vinyl. Dynamics or very good for vinyl. But while Previn is not generally my favorite conductor, because he sometimes goes too slow, he's pretty good with it here.
I also like the Reference Recordings disc with Micheal Stern because it's a 24 bit HDCD which really makes a difference. HDCD is an encoding process mostly developed by Keith Johnson whom I've been a fan of for years.

Attachments

• 71GS-Mz9f5L._SL1200_.jpg
    71GS-Mz9f5L._SL1200_.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 224
  • RR-146COVER.jpg
    RR-146COVER.jpg
    735.2 KB · Views: 207
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Great question. 'Just spent an hour sampling different versions on youtube. Of course the fidelity is variable to say the least but it's fascinating to hear the different takes on the score.

I stuck mainly to Mars as it's the first to come up in a full edition. Some turned it into a sweeping dance in a 40's romantic movie. Steinberg totally got the percussion only to let the orchestra skip over the tops of the waves in the rest of it..

A fun search also led to an interview with Rattle about von Karajan , and on and on.

My opinion is no single recording gets every one of the planets in a way I'd call right up there. You have to have something of the mood in you or you can't give a convincing rendition of it as a conductor and no one gets them all. For Mars, most are not warlike or militant enough I guess. (Their postures/gestures while conducting.say alot about that.) The huge youth orchestra at the 2016 Proms sure gave it some gusto though.

Mehta, Rattle, Boult, Dutoit , Haitink's is slow but crisp . . . . . . .

I find Isao Tomita's synthesiser interpretation very interesting! ;)

R-1312036-1448869154-5843.jpeg.jpg

Holst's relatives claimed that Tomita had manhandled their father's great composition and the record company withdrew some 30,000 records from the stores.

But not before I had bought the LP!

The version I've lived with for a long time and haven't felt the need to supplement with another recording is Charles Dutoit with the Montreal Symphony Orchestra (Decca), which got the Gramophone engineering and production award in 1987 and is still probably the best all-round version.

Hope I'm not told off for bumping an oldish thread.

I have 2 recordings:

Nimbus - NI 5117 Philhaharmonia, William Boughton 1988

LSO Live – LSO0029 LSO, Sir Colin Davis 2003

The single point microphone of the Nimbus gives a feeling of space that is missing from the LSO, but the overall sound is a trifle harsh in the loud sections - it's 25 years older.

Interpretations and timing of Mars were similar.

Neptune was significantly faster by LSO which made it much less mystical.

Only learned recently that Mars starts in 5/4 time which adds to the feeling of chaos. Some conductors could not cope when it was first published.

Overall, the Philharmonia on Nimbus.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I always wondered what is this fuzz about The Planets. Is it HiFi music?

Yes, it could be. Its a fun piece to listen to, not challenging, it showpieces the different sections of the orchestra, has wide dynamics from quiet to loud and high to low sounds.

Maybe because it was John Williams's main source of inspiration for one of the most iconic pop theme from movie history 'Star Wars'. ;)

Star Wars Main Theme (Full) - YouTube