Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

How to sort classic records
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th May 2021, 09:02 AM   #1
myleftear is offline myleftear  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Default How to sort classic records

Hi friends

I inherited (a gift from my father who luckily is still doing very well ) a quite big collection of vinyl classical records (close to 4 m of records), all sort of—from baroque to modern, chamber, solo, orchestral, symphonies, operas, and a few exotic things...

Classic records are quite complicated, as many are just a "work" (like a piano-concert etc.) while many are compilations of something (great sonatas, Schubert's piano-sonatas 1,3,8 etc.), and the interprets are "never" the same—the conductor, soloists, orchestra are very often interchanging.

We (my wife and I) haven't found a common ground as to how to organize it, and settled on the simplest and least clear structure: alphabetical by composer, which causes "problems" with records where a certain interpret is playing various pieces...

What are your recommendations for a clever structure?

Thank you!
Old 19th May 2021, 02:00 PM   #2
krivium is online now krivium  France
diyAudio Member

I struggled with my collection of recording until a friend programmed a database with multi criteria entry/search to me ( on an old atari i miss as he now rip- the computer not my friend!).

I should redo the thing on an application.
Old 19th May 2021, 03:12 PM   #3
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I re-organise mine every few years to try and find a better solution. I'm seriously considering by label for the next re-org
Old 19th May 2021, 03:33 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Yes this would be a cool method, clear and no questions left (except the „where is ….?“)

In berlin, there‘s a famous record-store (hard-wax, electronic & reggae only) where the records are sorted this way… since most of those are white or black labels, you reallyreally have to know what you’re after. But otoh, you can listen to everything there is, if you buy it you get a sealed copy. Now that’s professional!

I‘m also considering sorting the stuff by artists only, or by „style“.

Nothing really fits the whole.
Old 19th May 2021, 03:50 PM   #5
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Oddly I know where my records are. My CDs are harder to parse. But compilations are always a pain. Obviously guitar music can go in its own place as don't have too much of that. but some orchestral mixes just don't have a logical location.

And I lack the knowledge to do it by conductor.
Old 19th May 2021, 04:01 PM   #6
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
Banned

I think you have to start by composer. When it's a compilation, by the main piece composer, that's usually the case when it comes to how they are listed on the sleeve. In addition you could have an index system so the other composers and their pieces are cross referenced.
Old 19th May 2021, 05:49 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Mmmh, index system! Homer Simpson Mmmm Something - YouTube

No offense here, this just popped out of my head.
Yes, a good index system sure would help navigatiing the complex world of classic music, especially if - like me - one is interested in cross-references etc. … but then it gets very complicated and, well, asks for a database of sorts. And that is somehow contradictory to the analogue world.

So it (the indexsystem) should be toned down, and the records could, for example, be sorted alphabetically and get visual codes behind the protection-sleeve (colors for style/personalpreference/whatnot) and maybe one more „tag“ like a black or white mark)
And for the completion of the index (where are the barenboims?), a nice book/folder could do the „trick“…
Old 19th May 2021, 05:57 PM   #8
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
Banned

I've used cards before now, you know, index cards.
Old 19th May 2021, 06:50 PM   #9
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

By label seems to be the easiest useful method, which is what I do.
A database would require far too much work.

Last edited by rayma; 19th May 2021 at 06:53 PM.
Old 19th May 2021, 07:07 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krivium View Post
I struggled with my collection of recording until a friend programmed a database with multi criteria entry/search to me ( on an old atari i miss as he now rip- the computer not my friend!).

I should redo the thing on an application.
I missed this post, sorry.
Yes a database is somewhat obvious, but the joy of analog gets somehow corrupted. I have tried something like that myself (with "Ninox", an easy to learn but hard to fine-tune database for mac)

How to sort classic recordsHide this!Advertise here!