How to sort classic records

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
i organized my classical records by the birthday of the composer
so its nice overview from early monophonic choral music, polyphonic, medieval,
early renaissance, mainly i have baroque, and viennese classicism, not much romantics,
very little modern
if many composers are on the lp, i still place it under first on the list
otherwise you will have many categories, i have one, chronology

Last edited:

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I gathered them in type. Like Symphonies, Choir, String quartets etc. I learned how the back looked for a certain record. That strategy was carried over to my CD collection (+1k) and worked there also. Now, as I have ripped all of them to disk, I use search. I don't know - maybe was the old access times lower ;)

//

A good memory helps a lot...

My way of sorting them is, just to remember where I placed them last.

I do not have lots of records approximately 750 or may a few more or less, never actually counted these at home.. But I have photographed and catalogued on my computer and mobile phone.. So I know or at least can check what Music I have at home.

There are 4 different stashes *of course standing upwards* for the ones used most and than less and less and seldom.. The ones I do not listen too *Approximately 200* is a separate Place, and that works well, because there is no one else who mixes them up. My wife she does not even touch the records, nor the CD's..

In the Shop where I associated with, we have about between 50'000 - 100'000 Records on two floors.. There these are sorted by the kind of Music, and then by Artists..

Special place for the Expensive ones, where prices exceed 100USD / Record and there are several. another special place for the 5LP's for 10Dollars and so on.. easy to find any thing when in stock for everybody

Happy Weekend..

I organise my records according to how I would think of the record to find it.
So in general it would be by composer. If it's a compilation with several composers, I would file it under the composer of the composition that's most salient to me on the record. There are some primary instruments, artists and conductors that I will file together in sub-groups. And some genres of classical music that I have a few record of that will be filed together.

It makes sense to me, and I can find the record I want to find. And that's all that matters to me.

Will following method work ?

Since people get mood to listen to a particular 'form of music'
1) Make main sections depending on 'Form of music'
Example |Opera|ORCHESTRA|Symphony|
2) The sub division in above main section would be alphabetically arranged composer or performing artist.
3) If any further arrangement needed make sub-sub division .
4) Idea is to follow a pattern in each category to easily access <Music form><Artist><Particular piece>

I understand there would be lots of types of music which would be hard to categorize. But a consistent patern would make things easier.

I am clueless about various classical music so dont go by names I have typed.

(close to 4 m of records)
Do you mean 4 million records ? Thats lots of records :)
Regards

Joined 2017
Paid Member
My vinyl-records collection is actually unfortunately only 4 meters, not 4 millions (which would amount to approx. 200 km) :D

Concluding from all the suggestions/methods used it seems to me that (because classic records are so diverse) the most simple order seems to be the best… for deep dives into buried information (like where an interpret appeared etc.), a good database seems the best one can get.

I often think of those relation-visualisations as stunningly great tools...
linked-jazz
or this one, too: Ishkur
and of course music-map

Last edited:
And what is Rob's method from "High Fidelity" ?

yeah, I didn't want to spoil it, for those who were to read the novel...

mine is really only a joke, and I don't want to reveal it, since it is somehow the "resolution" of that story.

The novel is about the midlife/sentimental crisis of the owner of a used-vinyls shop; to put order in his life, our anti-hero undertakes to reorganize his entire, gigantic records collection...
The method he ends up chosing is very personal to him, so as I said it wouldn't help very much (in fact it would hardly apply to the case of audiofeline...)

_

Classical music, I order by composer, composer of the main work or first composer listed if there are equal works. CDs with lots of short works, such as aria compilations, get filed under "various". Other genres are kept together alphabetically by artist.

When I had lots of cassette tapes I used to number them and keep a card index file alphabetically by composer for each classical work and alphabetically by artist for everything else.

I rip all my classical CDs and change the tags so that each work becomes an album, even the short pieces with only one movement, that makes file structure much easier. I tried out a Plex server one time, it changed all my carefully written tags and put the cds back together. That was incredibly annoying.