Punk

Lots of good suggestions here... I love that punk as a genre is so many things to do many people.

I developed a mindset that the most punk thing is listening to whatever you like. You find one off songs by artists you'd have written off or find whole new genres that blow your mind. While I love audio quality, many great albums sound less than great. Accepting the flaws opens the floodgates of DIY punk and Hardcore music. It's why I keep my Dynaco A25... They can do a lot well enough that these recordings are much more pleasant to listen to than something super revealing.

Great to see a few of the Canadian greats mentioned... I can't recall seeing Dayglo Abortions mentioned but they were another Canadian band that pushed the boundaries as one could guess from their name. Saw them a few times, one missing them at a house party only to stroll to the Horseshoe to catch them opening for DOA. Great show.

The Chats from Australia are a cool band that sounds old school without being cheesy. Also check out the Documentary series Punk on HBO (it's Crave in Canada so assume HBO elsewhere) and you'll find out about a bunch of great bands from over time you may not have seen mentioned yet.

Anything goes, I think there is a theatrical element to punk and really not caring much what others think.

Yes, that was the case, mostly after punk become mainstream on MTV, starting with the likes of effin' Green Day. I suppose I don't have to lecture you about the roots of the movement in the bleak UK and US midwest in the late 60's and early 70's. It could be argued that the death of punk was to be expected and well deserved; it became in the mid to late 80's violent to the extreme and got a political turn that was dangerous for everybody, hence Dead Kennedys - Nazi Punks **** Off (Live) - YouTube

Very little is left today from the original message, although occasionally there are kids that somehow are building a bridge to the past, here's an example from your side of the pond, reminds me painfully of Joy Division Fontaines D.C. - Televised Mind (Official Music Video) - YouTube

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I am missin' David Johansen here ?!

No respect for him and/or his colleagues with the The New York Dolls ?!
That includes the solo stuff of Johnny Thunders of Sylvain Sylvain.
(just recently deceased!)

New York Dolls - Personality Crisis live at Musik Laden 1973 - YouTube

...and that includes all Solo works of Mr. Johansen

e.g.

a/k/a Buster Poindexter

Buster Poindexter Live in Rome - YouTube

....and his "Back To The Roots"- Enterprise : The Harry Smiths

David Johansen & The Harry Smith ~ Somebody Buy Me A Drink. - YouTube

Always "stylish", "in the idiom" and FUN.

Take a bite of it.

SigFire

I'm probably the opposite of a punk (I went to an all-boys private school so the punks in school were controversial).

That being said, I consider Never Mind the Bollocks... one of the greatest albums of all time, was smart enough to see The Ramones live, and have been to quite a few Rollins' spoken word shows. I know today the Ramones seem so tame, but I read that for 1970 they were so ahead of their time.

Frankly I've always been intimidated at the live shows, even more so for ska. A fellow grad student I know had a go at a music career in a ska band. I went to his local show, there was at least one skinhead with Neo-Nazi paraphernalia. It was all I could do to stay for the show.

Great thread. Just listening to some of this brings back great memories. Alot of stuff I didn;t get a chance to hear. Seeking this stuff out from the middle of the midwest in 77-78 was quite the effort but most of the fun. When we were running up and down the cruise and people were blaring Aerosmith and Rod Stewart, Eagles etc. me and my buds were blaring Devo, B52's,Talking Heads, Gang of Four etc. felt so much cooler than the masses. TC Matic never heard but love it. the thing that stands out to me for my style of punk is what I call, for lack of any guitar understanding is the angular stacatto guitar sound. That was always something that stuck out from mainstream.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Anyway, to get back to the thread, post my favorite here:

The Young Gods | The Young Gods (Full Album) | 1987 - YouTube

:) i hesitate to post this one ( or 'l'eau rouge') because they are usualy considered as industrial but i think the border is fine and the punk influence is very strong.

I love The Young Gods. I versed into electronic music thanks to 'Only Heaven' (and Scorn 'Evanescence'). They have a very special place in my heart and for those who have seen them Live they are one of the most involving and sincere acts i've ever seen. I have fond memories of their live for the reopening ( or closing i can't remember) of the 'Noumatrouf' in Mulhouse around 96/97. Such an impressive concert.
Well, if you haven't listened to their latest effort 'Data Mirage Tangram' it is one of their best album ever. Lots of reference into it ( they even used some samples of Plastickman's 'vr96' series) and it sees the return of their historic keyboardist/ samplist.

Checking out Au Pairs. A band I completely missed from the early 80's onslaught! I love them.

I didn't know them too. I like the fact the group is mixte ( women/men).
Punk scene was visionnary really.

Please guys keep on coming with references it is so nice to discover gems.
There was a huge scene in eastern Europe too ( Hungary, Poland,...) but most bands didn't exported outside the borders. If some members have references please share it!

Last edited: