reggae music

Two days ago there was a great Burning Spear concert at Reggae Lake in Amsterdam. Winston Rodney is 77 now, according to Wikipedia, but he can still sing, play bongos and dance.
You lucky sod, I have all their LPs from the 70s. Saw them live in Brighton in 78.

Never visited that park in SE A'dam but one of the best Reggae gigs I ever went to was in the Vondelpaark. It was 79. Can't even remember the name of the band but they were a Jamaican band and the English roadies and engineer would'nt let them play until they were happy with the sound. Great gig, danced with two young punk girls, an amazing day and night - now if I had a time machine.

It would have been more useful if I had posted about the Burning Spear concert before rather than after it took place... I never went to Reggae Lake before, I went there this time because a DJ mentioned the Burning Spear concert a couple of months ago.

Does anyone understand why their song about chanting down Babylon is called Door peep?

It wasn't The Gladiators by chance?
I hav'nt got a clue. Getting to the Vondel Paark in itself on the back of a traditional Dutch bike was something. I think that part of a great concert is the 'set and setting'. It had been raining hard for a few days - normal Dutch weather but it cleared up beautifully for the gig in the afternoon - clear light weather.

The 70s' saw the end of the peaceful Dutch revolution brought about by the Provos - the provisional government of the Netherlands in the 60s'. It was the norm for gemeenteraad/town/city councils at that time to put on concerts paid for by taxes and there were loads of concerts of all types of music put on at the Vondel Paark. In Rotterdam there were 3 day concerts in the summer at Zuid Paark - saw Chris Rea there. Every Saturday on the Lijnbaan there was always a band playing from late morning - a great time to be living in the Netherlands, everything was really cheap, it's been one of the most expensive European countries to live in since the late 90s' - so it goes.

Does door peep mean something else than an optical device that makes it possible to see what's outside the door, and door peeper something else than someone who uses such a device?
I've always taken it as saying anyone who watches their neighbors too closely, or gets involved when they shouldn't, won't be worthy of heaven. Very similar to Horace Andy's classic "Spying Glass" tune.

Reactions: 1 users
DSC_0001 (36).JPG
DSC_0001 (1).JPG
DSC_0001 (2).JPG
DSC_0001 (4).JPG

Reactions: 1 user
I hav'nt got a clue.
Only asked because around that time (may be a little later come to think of it) my BIL did the lighting for The Gladiators tour where he met their sound engineer Big Mick who a little later still became THE sound guy of Metallica. When offered the job Big Mick said 'Heavy Metal, what is that?'
Either way he engineered every single Metallica gig ever since (they paid him a very nice retainer just to be available) but he is a dubhead at heart.