Hello!...... Dolly!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Account Closed
Joined 2018
No, it's not about the 1964 musical with Carol Channing....

Last month, I pre-ordered 2 copies of Dolly Parton's new Christmas LP (on 180 gram vinyl)
The local record store just called to say that they're in.
I can't wait to spin some holiday cheer!

Attachments

• Dolly Xmas LP.jpg
    Dolly Xmas LP.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 132
Dolly Parton is my favourite double act, but on this album she shares the limelight with such luminaries as Michael Bublé, Jimmy Fallon, Willie Nelson, Billy Ray Cyrus, Miley Cyrus, and Randy Parton. Cuddle up and cozy down for Christmas, oldtech! :deerman:

Is coloured vinyl indeed regarded to be of lower quality? I always thought that this only holds true for picture records? In addition, I own several coloured records that sound superbly, even the pink with grey splatters edition of Caravan's In the Land of Gray and Pink.
Collecting coloured records is a fun of it's own.
Best records, erm regards :D!

Account Closed
Joined 2018
Why pay double for the vinyl? Twice as much, lower quality. I thought only youngsters were supposed to do dumb things?

When I'm entertaining during the holidays, I usually have the RCA Victor console stereo on in the dining room, with several Christmas LP's stacked on the record changer for background music.
I see nothing "dumb" with that, since I tend to make the holiday theme in my home a sort of "years ago - old school style" which people find charming and invokes memories of days gone by.
They feel "comfortable" coming over for the gathering.

Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra, Ray Conniff, among other artists' holiday albums are great for the holidays.
The Dolly Parton LP is something special this year - it's been ages since she offered one, and since I rarely buy LP's anymore, methinks it's a good choice for a mere $18 investment, compared to the outlay for holiday dinner every year.

Price some turkey for instance - $23 and up for a frozen bird!

As for record/LP quality, I doubt my holiday guests are going to critique the sound coming from the console, but in previous years they've usually expressed astonishment at the rich tone quality it has.

Account Closed
Joined 2018
Well, I picked up my "Dolly" LP today, and it's in "Christmasy red" vinyl too.
Nice, newer holiday songs, some classics, with that bit of that "Dolly style" country flavor.
Decent recording too, for current recording standards.
The only thing is, they start the lead-in groove a bit farther in, my linear tracker needs a nudge to get in the groove.
I'm sure a traditional pivoted arm would skate into it automatically.

Attachments

• dolly2.jpg
    dolly2.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 70
Joined 2014
Paid Member
When you listen to her, you can also thank Dolly for being Dolly.

When the virus was getting going, early March, a doctor at Vanderbilt was bemoaning the lag in vaccine research caused by the time it takes to get grants organised.

Dolly asked what it would take to get started in the meantime, and wrote a check for $1 million.
(out of that program comes the PerdueFarma vaccine)

In science as well as showbiz, people who put up money are called "angels".

And a few have a voice to match.

Account Closed
Joined 2018
I agree.
Dolly has a certain everlasting charm, country-girl style.
And I don't know her political views, only her voice and humane ways.
Nor do I want to know her political views, when we all know are a turn-off to fans, like The Boss, Streisand..... etc. who should stick to singing/acting..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.