Contemporary Blues

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Last edited:
Here’s one that caught my ear because I thought Gwen Stefani started singing the blues but on further investigation it’s Nikki Brooks from the south London trio ‘the jujubes’ :cool:
The Jujubes - Where Are We Now... - YouTube

Edit: sorry, just noticed the clip is only 15 seconds long and I can’t seem to find a full version……if any one else can find it please post it up.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
I like that sounds that comes back almost to the roots.

Makes me think about this grup : The Temperance movement. More charted like a classic rock band, but the musicians are awesome first class in their first LP.

so Blues, sort of :) : The Temperance Movement "Serenity" - YouTube

the lyrics of this one are pure blues while the music is less : The Temperance Movement - Only Friend (Official Rehearsal Session) - YouTube

what ******* good musicians... thanks guys for that :) God bless you.:cool:

Try to go back with some ethiopan "blues" music later...

Last edited:
Iggy, The Temperance Movement is awesome! :cool:

……Romani isn’t exactly blues unless you consider it’s rather depressing on a whole. ;)

Fado blues is new to me, I’ll check it out deeper……..I grew up with a friend whose family were from Cape Verde, nice folks.

Ben, I had no idea Lucky died either……I saw him in the early 90’s (maybe even late eighties?) at a nightclub in St. Pete beach FL, I remember it was a blast!

Last edited:
Well here’s a instrument I’ve never seen before, a resonator mandolin……apparently they were made at the same time as the resonator guitars starting in the late 20’s and early 30’s.

Here’s very cool use of one! :cool:
Like What You See? | WHEN RIVERS MEET - YouTube

Edit….when I first heard this (without the video) I thought it was a mandolin and a resonator guitar playing separately and was quite surprised when I saw what it was…..on recollection I believe I’ve heard the sound before but had never known what it was! Much like the slide banjo that had tricked me years ago before I’d seen some old footage of someone playing one in their lap slide style!

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
It's maybe not so Blues, cause often there is a sort of Joy beyond the hard days. I like those Ethiopians singers that were modern before the modern Africa. There was a tradition at Addis Ababa where the bars boss were at night singer in their bars... boss being a man or a woman, without any problem when it comes to sing and play music.

A very good, almost Blues, album : Ethiopiques vol 1 - YouTube with some joy beyond the curtain !

Last edited: