Contemporary Blues

It’s certainly interesting when you have the insight of life events that shape the artists music,
The album I had (common ground) was just ok to me and one really good track I like ‘maybe a fool’ but nothing must have about it so I never really pursued anything else by him until Bill brought it up.
I checked out ‘the blues came callin’ (2014) which was apparently an effort to raise money for the liver transplant he had no insurance or funds for, you can hear the desperation while pulling every blues breaker card from his sleeves. This effort was quite good and raised enough for his operation.
Then the next album after his recovery ‘Battle scars’ (2015) is full of new life and self, I never would have picked up on any of that if it wasn’t brought to light.....thanks Bill.

I’m not a big fan of his two latest efforts though, ‘survivor blues’ (2019) and ‘ordinary madness’ (2020) seems off (he does mention mental issues in a lot of the new music?)

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
.thanks Bill.

I’m not a big fan of his two latest efforts though, ‘survivor blues’ (2019) and ‘ordinary madness’ (2020) seems off (he does mention mental issues in a lot of the new music?)

You're welcome. Newest album of his I have is 'Alive in Amsterdam' which is a live recording in front of an appreciative audience and the one I often turn to.

For a smile here is an old UK beer advert featuring the blues. Heineken advert - The Blues - 1992 - YouTube

Before beer adverts were stopped from claiming they do great things for you Heineken made a lot of great ads from their strapline 'refreshes the parts other beers cannot reach'. Great ads, but their good beers where generally not sold in uk as the drinkers of the time either wanted cheap stuff or wife beater* strength.

*seriously the 5% lagers were referred to with this name. We were not a cultured bunch 30 years ago :)

Thx Timmy, I had no idea how young this dude is, I’ve got the album ‘Carolina confessions’ and ‘Goodbye Carolina’ is one of my favorite tunes I’ve come across in a long time but had never seen a picture or video.

Marcus King - "Goodbye Carolina" | Live at the Opry | Opry - YouTube

That is pretty funny Bill.....Lonnie Brooks is one of the greats!

Lonnie Brooks - You're Usin' Me - YouTube

Edit.....holy crap! Look at his son go! Gotta look him up.

Edit too.... It’s Ronnie Baker Brooks.....this him a few yrs ago (never would have known if it weren’t for a heine commercial!)

Ronnie Baker Brooks - Take me Witcha/Sweet Home Chicago - 6/16/17 Rams Head - Annapolis, MD - YouTube

Last edited:
Last edited:
Last edited: