Contemporary Blues

Gotta love the ‘aha’ moments the blues constantly give forth……

When this song (blue skies) first caught some airplay it was mostly on country genre sources (at least thats where i’d heard it) and thought wow thats a catchy tune and having never heard of Grainne Duffy thought it was probably one of those one hit wonder kind of circumstances……well fast fwd to yesterday when i heard the song again played on a blues internet radio station and then added it in my playlist……as with most music i put in my playlist theres usually some checking out of the artists other work, lo and behold theres a very talented blues woman that flies below the radar (my radar anyhow!)

This one kindly comes across as pop but its based in blues/soul and demonstrates a new take on old styles……not something I would normally listen to but as a package (video) it’s really cool imo :cool:

edit; anyone know who the woman on the stand up bass is? She’s awesome!

edit II; I noticed some of the previous video links are dead so I better start including labels…..Jon Batiste, I Need You (live from the red room)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Yo, e3k
thanks for that, I’m probably one of the few weirdo’s who likes JJ performing his own songs better than Clapton! EC sure does owe a lot to ol’ JJ :cool:

Here’s a song off a album put out years after his death that showcases some finished works that were never released, this song is close to home for me (except my version would have to be a short legged woman!) :)

JJ Cale, ‘lights down low’ from 2019 album ‘stay around’

Reactions: 1 user