Like the old Chicago / CTA? These people are GOOD

I stumbled across a random video on Youtube, then spent most of the morning watching every video in their catalog and following some of the links.

This band is mostly from the Ukraine, Russia or eastern Europe, English is not their native language, and they have never seen any of the "Chicago" incarnations play live. Somehow they have learned to play old CTA stuff better than the current "Chicago" does.

(I've Been) Searchin' So Long - Leonid & Friends (Chicago cover) - YouTube

25 or 6 to 4 – Chicago (Leonid & Friends сover) - YouTube

Questions 67 & 68 – Chicago (Leonid & Friends cover) - YouTube

Leonid & Friends | Official Band Website

Yep, they have been recording old Chicago tunes for the last couple of years I think, and even an EW&F tune I think. Most of their stuff is up on YouTube, but you can also purchase a CD of the material for higher quality sound.

It was a total thrill to see these guys totally nail some of these classic tracks! I was a big fan of the Chicago Transit Authority album when I was in high school, so this really brought a tear to my eye it was so good, and well mastered (recorded).

Years ago when I would travel for work and I would stay in good hotels there was almost always a great top 40 cover band in the hotel lounge. I was always amazed how a group could switch from R&B to soul to pop to rock and roll and do all well. Ahhhhhh those were the days of expense accounts and generous perdiems.

In the early 70's in Montreal there was a group called Mahogany Rush. (Not the current band Rush) who would do a fantastic job on Hendrix covers. Frank Marino was the guitarist I believe.

there was a group called Mahogany Rush.....Frank Marino was the guitarist I believe.

They did a tour in the mid 70's as Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush. I know I saw them at a show in the Sportatorium in south Florida during that time period. Just exactly which one, I can't say....too many concerts, too many years ago. They played the Sportatorium several times in the 70's, as did many of the big groups from the Moody Blues to Pink Floyd. I had a couple of their albums including Strange Universe which had some neat vocal loops using an Echoplex like Hendrix did. The Echoplex was a 1960's vintage looping device that used magnetic tape. I had one of the earlier vacuum tube units with a movable playback head.

I was a big fan of the Chicago Transit Authority album when I was in high school

I saw them once at a college show in Miami after that first album, 1970 or 71. I can think of at least 3 people who blew up their guitar amps after reading the bit about using an old Bogen PA amp as a preamp for Free Form Guitar.....try that with a solid state Kustom or Acoustic of the day......poof lots of dead silicon!