Piano music you can hear the pedals and hammers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2018
Paid Member
I recently heard a passage of piano where you could hear the mechanical elements of the piano as the musician played.....pedals being pressed and the hammers actuating ...can't remember what it was but it was a good genre of music to 'show off ones system...it sounded really good.

Any links or heads up of anything that sounds similar.?

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Klavins M.370 piano -

CI6QKpqWwAAQDMJ.jpg

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Yes, it’s tape hiss. Was listening to it on headphones yesterday.

The hammer and action noise I find really annoying, but I also understand it’s part of his performance and sound. So it’s interesting, I suppose, musically...

Each piano has unique character, and good recordings capture it. A competent artist understands and exploits uniqueness of the instrument. Gorgeous instrument sound makes a performance multiple times more enjoyable.
Of my recent acquisitions, I can highly recommend Chopin's 24 precludes by Beatrice Rana, one of the best pianists of our time. The sound of instrument under her fingers will floor you, and her taste is impeccable.
It's a pity that classical piano scene is dominated by Steinway. I have no complaints about sound of their instruments, but other makers, especially Fazioli and Bodendorfer, have their unique tones, but their instruments rarely appear in concert halls and on records.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Not only her favourite, a one of a kind. Gotta admire the fact that she was schlepping a piano worth 150k around europe to recording sessions and concerts.

@6L6 as I'd already noted I generally run from recording with the mic inside the piano but Frahm is interesting and nice late night music. The other end of the scale is Jeroen Van veen who uses yamaha because he wants a piano with minimal character to get in the way of the minimalist music he plays.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.