Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

Does speaker minutiae matter less for synthesized music?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st May 2020, 03:36 PM   #11
analog_sa is online now analog_sa  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubelab_com View Post
I don't know where in the world you are, but if there is a place that will let you walk in with a hand full of CD's and listen to a bunch of different speakers, I would DO IT. The least that can happen is that you will find out a bit more about what you like, and what you don't.
Assuming the tip is directed at me, it is sadly arriving too late

No longer own any CDs and for at least 40 years have had a pretty good idea of what i like. And no, Yammies NS10 cannot play the electronic music i like, they lack several octaves in the bass.
Old 1st May 2020, 03:56 PM   #12
jjasniew is online now jjasniew  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubelab_com View Post
As stated frequency extremes, drum transients, and cymbals are the obvious places to find shortfalls. My daughter played drums and I spent a lot of time in the late 90's trying to record and reproduce drums on early vintage PC recording hardware, so "getting the drums right" is one of the things that I look for.
When I go out for a jog, there's a house I run past where a teenager sometimes plays their drum kit. Within milliseconds I realize one of my favorite self-quotes; "that isnt anyone's stereo system"...

Even encased within the walls of a home, it cracks me up how sonic-ly obvious a live drum kit sounds, compared to any recorded and then reproduced one. That's just a very old joke in comparison to live.

Distance doesnt seem to be a factor, as I've had this impression from 50 yards to probably a mile away (coming from the nearby high school). Many, many times over the years - and hearing degradation with age doesnt seem to effect the perception one iota -
Old 1st May 2020, 05:16 PM   #13
plasnu is offline plasnu  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibren View Post
do you think speaker minutiae matter less to synthesized music? The difference between $30, $100, $200 drivers?
The reason why you can only hear difference on headphone but cannot with speaker is most probably your room. For electronic music, you really need a dry room with very well controlled low frequency reverb time.
Old 1st May 2020, 05:17 PM   #14
plasnu is offline plasnu  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjasniew View Post
When I go out for a jog, there's a house I run past where a teenager sometimes plays their drum kit. Within milliseconds I realize one of my favorite self-quotes; "that isnt anyone's stereo system"...
It's not about the sound, it's all about teenager's horribly tuned Walmart drum kit and his sloppy play!

Last edited by plasnu; 1st May 2020 at 05:27 PM.
Old 2nd May 2020, 12:58 PM   #15
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Assuming the tip is directed at me, it is sadly arriving too late
It was meant for the OP, who is trying to decide where to best spend his speaker buying / building money.

Quote:
teenager sometimes plays their drum kit. Within milliseconds I realize one of my favorite self-quotes; "that isnt anyone's stereo system"...
Quote:
it's all about teenager's horribly tuned Walmart drum kit and his sloppy play!
My daughter was good enough to be the first female drum captain in the history of the high school marching band. She taught drums and keyboards at a local music school for several years, and knew how to tune her slightly better than Walmart quality drums (Pearl Export set with many add ons).

There is something in the transients of drum dynamics that are hard to reproduce. I could never capture and reproduce the realism of a snare drum or a rim hit on the tom-tom with my 44/16 Media Vision Pro Audio Spectrum setup in the 90's. My Teac 3440 did better, but still did not invoke "live."

I can usually tell if drums are live or recorded although I have been fooled, I have a better than even chance with acoustic guitar music, even if it's through a decent PA. Electric guitars, no. Piano, depends on the piano, and the player.

I remember walking along Ft. Lauderdale beach one evening, probably in the mid 2000's and hearing some acoustic guitar music, which was obviously live coming from a small club. I walked up to the patio and saw a grey haired man playing solo. It was very good, so I stood outside and watched for a while. When he picked up the tempo and started singing, I thought that he did a good rendition of Peter Frampton's music. I walked away and got a glimpse of the sighn in front of the club, it WAS Peter Frampton.

Quote:
And no, Yammies NS10 cannot play the electronic music i like, they lack several octaves in the bass.
True, the NS-10M's fall off like a rock at 70 Hz, that's why there is a 15 inch sub under the desk with a 200 watt plate amp. The sealed cabinet of the Yamaha NS-10 guarantees no big bass, but it gets the drum transients right.

Back when I bought the NS-10's the local "Boom Boom car scene" was growing fast, after all, I was in South Florida. You could buy big boom stuff at Walmart there. I heard a racket outside one day coming from a bunch of kids across the street. They were "tuning" one of their cars with several "test CD's" made just for this purpose. One CD had sinusoidal test tones from about 10 Hz to over 100Hz, and a "drum track." It was about 2 minutes of well recorded drums that exhibited pretty decent realism. I got one of those discs and it was the deciding factor in selecting the NS-10's over all the other speakers. The NS-10's were also the cheapest speakers in the room.
Old 7th May 2020, 07:35 AM   #16
KaffiMann is offline KaffiMann  Norway
Fanatic
diyAudio Member

... I think you have to sort the music by completely different criteria.
It does not matter if it's metal, electronic, jazz or whatever else.

Seems to me that: If the music is made and marketed for the sole purpose of making money, it usually sounds like you play it on inbuilt tv set speakers no matter how good your system is.

Does speaker minutiae matter less for synthesized music?Hide this!Advertise here!