Great music, terrible recording.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A great part of the music I like is from the "classical rock" period and was badly recorded.

Did King Crimson, Moondog, Van der Graff for example have any audiophile quality recordings for their works? Moondog had only Six Pax for a Sax but it doesn't have many of his best pieces.

Last edited:
Best recording quality was from about '78 to '89 ... they had the sophisticated mixing boards and multi-track recorders but had not fallen in love with the compressor and limiters yet. Many audiophiles, including me, cut their teeth on vinyl from that era.

But you are right, there are some really bad recording from back then. If you go back to the mid-60s you will even find stereo recordings with no centre image at all, just two speakers each playing a couple of instruments, sounded like two bands playing the same song, eyuck.

Unfortunately it was Disco that fuelled the move to proper stereo imaging and sonic balances, so you know where some of the best source mixes will be found...

There was a rumour that in the late 60's and early 70's all the best "virgin" vinyl was reserved for classical recordings as they would stand the test of time better. The re-cycled "inferior" vinyl was therefore directed towards pop and rock. Jazz probably got a bit of both worlds!

Best recording quality was from about '78 to '89 ... they had the sophisticated mixing boards and multi-track recorders but had not fallen in love with the compressor and limiters yet. Many audiophiles, including me, cut their teeth on vinyl from that era.
That subject was alreardy discussed a million times but as much as I like the "analog" touch which feels truer to life and authentic, I never heard a decent recording prior to the 90's where you can hear the acoustic of the instrument and the way the drum sticks reverb you could feel the wood they're made of.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.