Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

Average Music Transients/Peaks Data across genres of Music ?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th March 2020, 05:34 PM   #1
Hiten is offline Hiten  India
diyAudio Member

Default Average Music Transients/Peaks Data across genres of Music ?

Hi,
Here in forum there is nice thread about music spectrum of various genres of music.
Link : Spectrum of Musical Genres
I know cannon shots in 1812 Overture are loud. So it got me curious is there any info on internet/links where Transients/peaks are calculated across various genres of music and mean results are given ?
Thanks and Regards.
Old 26th March 2020, 05:31 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Searched the net. and pardon me for the query. some link : mixing - How loud is 0dB, and what is a good dB to mix to? - Sound Design Stack Exchange
I think Most dynamic loud music may have peak of 0 dB for very short period of time. This dB scale being logarithmic is little confusing. Will search further.
Regards
Old 26th March 2020, 07:39 AM   #3
Indiglo is offline Indiglo  Australia
diyAudio Member

The quick and dirty answer:

0db is a measurement of two values, say the difference between the output and input of a preamplifier. 0db being that there is no difference between the two values, in other words unity gain.

db needs to be referenced to something to be meaningful so 0dBm in a telecommunications network would be referenced to 1mW into 600ohms, in the RF world 0dBm is referenced to 1mW into 50ohms. These references are not used for audio or music reproduction.

So, if you are referring to 0db peak, then you will need to have a reference.

There's quiet a bit of info about audio levels and dB's at sengpielaudio.com
Old 27th March 2020, 05:24 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks Indiglo. 0dB from the link probably should have said 0dBfs. I will go through the link you have given.
Regards.
Old 30th March 2020, 08:44 AM   #5
Douglas Blake is offline Douglas Blake  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiten View Post
So it got me curious is there any info on internet/links where Transients/peaks are calculated across various genres of music and mean results are given ?
The general measure of transients is dynamic range, expressed as a ratio between the loudest and quietest sounds. A whole lot of albums have been scanned are are catalogued at The Dynamic Range Database

But you should be prepared to be quite disappointed since most modern music has very little, if any, dynamic range at all.
Old 31st March 2020, 06:19 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks Douglas.
I did come across dynamic range while searching about average peaks in music. I have 'Brothers in Arms' by Dire straits. And it sounded very nice. The DR Database shows high DR on that album. I forgot to save a link which showed a simple vocal music can have high dynamic range too.
Regards.
Old 31st March 2020, 06:29 AM   #7
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

This has recently been researched by Meyersound. They developed a test signal that has the same characteristics as music. The result is based on white noise but with a crest factor that increases with frequency from iirc 1kHz.
Based on a large number of analyses from all genres of music.

More info here.

Jan
Old 1st April 2020, 04:10 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Yes thats what I exactly wanted. All genres of music and average crest factor of them. At 1:05 in video there is representative graph of it. Thanks.
Old 1st April 2020, 08:20 PM   #9
Douglas Blake is offline Douglas Blake  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiten View Post
Thanks Douglas.
I did come across dynamic range while searching about average peaks in music. I have 'Brothers in Arms' by Dire straits. And it sounded very nice. The DR Database shows high DR on that album. I forgot to save a link which showed a simple vocal music can have high dynamic range too.
Regards.
At the risk of stretching my limits here... This lack of range is why my music collection ended someplace in the early 1990s. Everything was getting louder and most of it was actually giving me headaches so, at some point a few years ago I just stopped collecting it.

I've been reading up on things like the "Loudness War" and the way modern music is mixed and mastered. In my opinion the big problem is that many modern engineers have missed the boat when it comes to the way you mix digital music.

They've continued shooting for the 0 db mark as an average, as you would on an analog console. But in digital formats 0db is where clipping starts, it's a hard limit, there's no "overhead" so they can't just crank it up like they used to.

If we look at the standard consumer audio levels, the equivalent voltage output (1v peak to peak) actually occurs on CDs and DACs at about -15db... and that's where they should have been mixing.

This video might provide a better insight... YouTube (it's a bit long, but worth seeing)
Old Yesterday, 12:15 PM   #10
KaffiMann is offline KaffiMann  Norway
Fanatic
diyAudio Member

I'm very interested in sound levels and dynamics, and I can certainly understand and agree that LUFS (in most cases) is very useful for determining perceived loudness. But I have some problems understanding "DR rating", what I experience as a dynamic track and the DR value do not always seem to correlate very well.
Seems like if you just have lots of somewhat varied peaks with absolute silence in between you'd get a great LUFS value + "DR" rating but it would be horrible to listen to.

Last edited by KaffiMann; Yesterday at 12:20 PM. Reason: clarifying

Average Music Transients/Peaks Data across genres of Music ?Hide this!Advertise here!