Boy, classical sure is primitive compared to Rap, eh?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Bach to the teepee(c) could say a rapper, I have to say I can't understand the original question ?! While I think it was not a serious question will from Discopete, jumping in it, I would say, none is primitive (well but some MTV rap clips with cheeks on the beach moving their a... a crazy way in front of big 4x4 with chromed... etc, )

It seems hard to make better songs than Verdi's but in the mean time, rap is not exactly about harmony research... while rap style is the more inventive music style nowadays and has so much directions than you have night and day choice, many(c)raps but some ok...

Rap being ancient now and music (I'm not sure this is the right word) evolved towatds such things as Sleafer Mods from Manchester YouTube

Classical is Primitive compared to rap. Like, what were they thinking back then??;)
Rap is old hat. I actually heard Billie Eilish & her brother Finnias sing some new melodies on Austin City Limits 2 weeks ago. Billie is not black, she is green.
I like the greatest hits of the last 500 years. I actually liked near rap songs "Hammer Time" and "Doin' the Humpty hop". In classical, 99% of Boccherini and 100% of Telemann is just as bad as Whodini or Big Daddy Kane.

Last edited:
Old rap relys on sampling classic funk, afrobeat, soul and whatever they find fit into it.

Rap beat on itself are rather simple sounding but hard to make right. Many rock lovers look down on rap, but it's actually more difficult in my opinion (as former bass player in rockbands, and former music producer who made mainly dancehall, dub and jungle, but also some rapbeats).

Classical music can be very simple and very complex sounding, and is often very hard to play. I would not call it primitive, it's just that the rules are totally different than in rap.

I rate all music (altough i have my preferences), and all music got it's genius pieces and a lot of crap, be it rap, rock, jazz, classical or whatever else.

And those who say rap is primitive and no music, listen to this old rap wich i consider as probally the best ever made. If you call this primitive and simple, you know nothing about music in my eyes....

The tune dates from 1988 btw, so for youngsters it's probally antique.

YouTube

Many rock lovers look down on rap, but it's actually more difficult in my opinion (as former bass player in rockbands, and former music producer who made mainly dancehall, dub and jungle, but also some rapbeats).
The tune dates from 1988 btw, so for youngsters it's probally antique.
YouTube
The art of that "Follow the Leader" ErikB & Rakim track was done by the producer. Dozens of effects and cuts in and out. Lyric & bass track are very simple.
By contrast, Charlie McCoy, a "Nashville A-team" musician, said a track he assisted Bob Dylan on, with was done in 2 takes. Reference, Ken Burns Country Music on PBS episode 3.

Last edited:
but musically among the lowest class in the 1970ies,

It's true that Sweet's Fox on the Run is no more musically complex than Deep Purple's Smoke on the Water....and Jon Lord could ROCK the B3. But both, and for sheer annoyance power, Ina Gadda Da Vida or Fresh Garbage, were my best weapons in the stereo war against the disco queen that lived in the apartment next door to me.

I did have far more audio power than her, and the final battle involved 8 X 12 inch guitar speakers pushed up against the wall driven with several hundred watts. A truce was agreed on and never broken.

It WAS the 70's and in South Florida where you were either a rocker, a dancer, or maybe a country twanger. Rap was not even a thing yet.

I think there is complexity and simplicity in many musical genres, but a factor for me in any appreciation is my sensibility for sounds which I find either pleasant or unpleasant.

I have no interest in, or affinity for rap, and think that this is due to a deficiency on my part. It seems particularly focussed on the problems of a certain subsect of society, and maybe even racial origin.

It's true that Sweet's Fox on the Run is no more musically complex than Deep Purple's Smoke on the Water....and Jon Lord could ROCK the B3. But both, and for sheer annoyance power, Ina Gadda Da Vida or Fresh Garbage, were my best weapons in the stereo war against the disco queen that lived in the apartment next door to me.
Yes, Smoke surely wasn't a highlight in DP's creativeness. They've done very much better tunes, even on the same Machine Head album. In the hard rock genre I always preferred LZ over DP, though. I don't know any LZ tune that is as simple as Smoke.
The summit of creativeness and virtuosity *imho* was represented by the progressive rockers, especially Gentle Giant, VdGG and the like.
And I fully agree: Disco was a no go for me, too. Never!
Best regards!

Best regards!

Despite being a rock guitarist I was also a mobile disco DJ.
So had to tolerate disco music.
However we would get the occasional gig for bikers or heavy metal fans and we could get out the heavy metal music.

Sweet "Fox on the run" was just throw away pop music for the masses.
A few weeks in the charts then gone for good.
However, Sweet did some great music that was more than just throw away pop. "Sweet Fanny Adams" and "Give us a wink" were good albums.

The summit of creativeness and virtuosity *imho* was represented by the progressive rockers

Fortunately, when someone stole about half my album collection in the 70's, the good "prog" was left behind. I still have my Genesis, King Crimson, Caravan, McDonald and Giles, Tangerine Dream, and many other similar albums. My all time favorite band is the Moody Blues, ever since I first heard In Search of the Lost Chord and On the Threshold of a Dream at an all night "meeting of the minds" at the park ranger's cabin in a Florida keys state park sometime in 1969.

Sweet "Fox on the run" was just throw away pop music for the masses.....Sweet did some great music

True, but like "smoke" it sounded good at extreme volume levels and I was a sucker for that synthesizer sound. Sweet was never very popular in the US. To offset that our Desolation Boulevard album was different from yours. It contained both "radio" songs, and a few other extras. This was probably the reason I bought it.

I worked the evening shift in a large factory with the "Mirage lounge" across the street. There was no escape from disco, but I could ignore it for the most part. There were plenty of late nights when I didn't get home from work until 2 or 3 AM. I lived in a large apartment complex (about 500 units), that also had disco night on Fridays.

I did not appreciate the walls thumping at 7:30 AM when the disco queen started her morning "workout." I had several friendly discussions, that went nowhere. She got worse, so I started blasting some rather loud rock from my DIY solid state stereo that had maybe 35 WPC through some DIY speakers. A temporary truce ensued, that did not last, so...2X guitar speaker cabinets with 4 X 12 inch speakers in each one were pushed up against the wall where her bedroom was and fed with a DIY solid state amp that could put about 300 watts into those speakers. I cranked most of those two songs at full tilt one night at 3 AM. I didn't want the rest of the complex to figure out it was me, so I went quiet and dark after about 3 minutes. The final truce was drawn up the next morning.

The Mirage disco club across the street from the Motorola plant that once employed 5000 people still exists, although the Motorola plant is essentially gone. Not much disco left though. Salsa and noise.....

Mirage Night Club & Lounge - Plantation, Florida - Dance & Night Club | Facebook

I've been trying to clarify whether or not my passion for a certain era and genre are to do more with my age, or inherent artistic merit in the music itself. It's a hard one.

I love Prog Rock, not all, couldn't stand ELP, but loved Crimson, Tull and many others who at that time seemed caught in a common desire to make relatively serious statements.

Kevin Ayers Whatevershebringswesing starts as a sort of slow quasi 50s do-wop style song but it builds slowly, and then the guitar solo, from Mike Oldfield is absolutely stunning, and it builds harmonically from level of intensity to successively even greater ones. This stands out for me. But there were so many at that time, and to try to recapture them is hard even memory wise, and we are not in that zeitgeist now.

This is why I have to get a good streaming solution, to get access to everything.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.