Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

Albums without dynamic range compression
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th November 2019, 06:55 PM   #31
Douglas Blake is offline Douglas Blake  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
What i do not understand is the current need to limit the dynamic range of the source material. There is no particular reason to do so at source when variable compression rate is easy to apply within the reproduction chain. Instead of coming with more hare-brained schemes like MQA the music industry can come up with standards for reproduction which allow for a user selectable compression. Even high end equipment will need a degree of compression.
Most modern music, especially the stuff targeting "hit parade" lists is heavily compressed. This is to try to make it louder than the other music as a means to attract your attention to it... so they sell more copies. Sadly it's mostly about money.

I think this has been a terrible mistake on behalf of recording engineers (many of whom should be driving trains). If compression is needed at the broadcast point it should be applied at the broadcast point not in the master recording itself. Hearing the same song at home vs on the radio or streaming should be a much better experience. The way they went about this actually makes home reproduction worse because now we have better quality systems that can easily expose the noise and distortion inherent in heavy compression.

Unlike the good old days (mid-50s through 1980s) when you could pretty much trust your source recordings, now we find ourselves scurrying to find better quality copies of the same music and often as not they don't exist. So a lot of otherwise good music gets lost because of the attempts to make it more marketable.

Another shift which is not so obvious has take place as well...

Most modern "hit parade" music is no longer played by musicians in studios (or live). It comes from synthesizers, drum machines and computers. It is now entirely possible for someone to lay down all the tracks for a recording, sing the lyrics and then fix it using computer software.

This has resulted in a reversal. Where the recording once echoed a live performance, now the live performance tries to echo the recording. Many times the spectacular shows are merely lip syncing over the release version of the recording so going to a concert is literally no improvement over listening in your own living room.

And then there's autotune which is often used to fix the vocals, both on recordings and live. Giving us this... YouTube .... autotune to the rescue!

So much of what we listen to these days is simply not real music that we now need to be very aware of what happens to it before it gets onto our source disks and files... and most of it ain't pretty. The result of commercializing an art form.

Last edited by Douglas Blake; 24th November 2019 at 07:04 PM.
Old 25th November 2019, 09:44 AM   #32
diyrob is offline diyrob  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Most amazing uncompressed recording i have is the incredibly lifelike Haydn violin concertos 1,3,4 - bit of an obscure one i think funded by unicef(!)
il canale DC-U25
andrea cappelletti violin with scottish chamber under james blair.
DDD edinburgh - queens hall 1987
picked it up 2nd hand as an afterthought - nearly fell of my seat when i heard it

'Without a net' - wayne shorter, and '5 peace band' (sic!) - John McLaughlin and friends live albums must have some compression though they both sound so alive and dynamic

Jacques Loussier Satie album is also amazingly dynamic imo - compression kills the piano

so many solo piano recordings have little weight - is this another way of increasing signal, by controlling the bass?
glenn goulds recordings sound natural, and have just been listening to amato on sorabji symphonia brevis which tickles the woofers a bit...
Old 25th November 2019, 10:09 AM   #33
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Shorter's Beyond The Sound Barrier, too, there are sections that would wake the dead
Old 26th November 2019, 08:45 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

Actually, some of the best music production today is in Movies. There's no need to commercialize it so it tends to be more dynamic (>10db dynamic range) and a lot better mixed.

A few examples:
The Jackel
Quigley Down Under
The Whole Nine Yards
Avengers Endgame
Old 26th November 2019, 08:52 AM   #35
6vheater is offline 6vheater
diyAudio Member

yes only problem it's usually encoded in AAC mpeg audio which sounds absolutely foul.

I HATE AAC/mp4
Old 26th November 2019, 08:54 AM   #36
projectwhite is offline projectwhite  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
What i do not understand is the current need to limit the dynamic range of the source material. There is no particular reason to do so at source when variable compression rate is easy to apply within the reproduction chain. Instead of coming with more hare-brained schemes like MQA the music industry can come up with standards for reproduction which allow for a user selectable compression. Even high end equipment will need a degree of compression.
Not only audio but video also has the same problem. The colour gamut used in consumer video today is still limited to what the average colour TV could display in the late 50s. Only now, finally, but only with HDR content, can we go beyond this today.

With digital music going online that should've been the opportunity to move audio past its very limited roots, but standards organisations and industry have proven incompetent and incapable of doing so, and when a private company tries (ala MQA), everyone rejects it because its proprietary. There's no winning.
Old 26th November 2019, 09:16 AM   #37
KaffiMann is offline KaffiMann  Norway
Fanatic
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinter01 View Post
Do you know such albums? I am interested in almost every musical genre.
I'd rather not recommend it, since I really cannot claim much quality of music, I released my first album to get through and understand the papermill and surrounding processes involved.
But I do have an album on bandcamp in 24bit/96khz, so far all I've had is expenses but that was intentional and expected.
I will get you a download code to try it for free in full quality, there is no compression at all, but one some instruments I am playing with distortion, only 3-4 tracks that I can recommend really, those tracks are Theory 07, Re-Creation and also Forever at Peace is a more low pace thing good for testing phase issues in bass region.
If you have the capacity to listen to it Open-Source is great for stress testing, there is a lot of different sound, but on a good system you should be able to focus on each and every sound by itself. On a bad system it just falls apart and sounds like mush.

Send me a PM if you want a code to try it out for free, but it's not expensive to begin with. "Pay what you want" starting on 1$, not really for profit.
Kaffi 101 | KaffiMann

Currently working on a more professional release through a record company, much higher quality, release date not yet set.

Last edited by KaffiMann; 26th November 2019 at 09:19 AM.
Old 26th November 2019, 09:39 AM   #38
plasnu is offline plasnu  United States
diyAudio Member

Newly mastered HiRes Bluenote albums are much less compressed. They almost sound like different albums from CD or LP versions.
Old 26th November 2019, 03:13 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6vheater View Post
yes only problem it's usually encoded in AAC mpeg audio which sounds absolutely foul.

I HATE AAC/mp4
The bluerays would be in DTS format, which is lossless.
Old 26th November 2019, 04:19 PM   #40
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasnu View Post
Newly mastered HiRes Bluenote albums are much less compressed. They almost sound like different albums from CD or LP versions.
Interesting - do you have a few examples?

//

Albums without dynamic range compressionHide this!Advertise here!