Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

Albums without dynamic range compression
Albums without dynamic range compression Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th November 2019, 08:44 PM   #11
uchu007 is offline uchu007  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinter01 View Post
Hi,

I'm very angry that so many recordings sounds so bad. Especially, there's no reason it has to sound bad. A lot of money is envolved in the recording process: expensive instruments, expensive microphones, expensive ADCs etc... So there is a big potential for good sound quality. But for no reason a ton of effects are used, which destroys recordings instead of improving them. Okay, that's not true, there's a reason: listeners are more sensitive to volume than sound quality, and sound engineers love to use a lot of effects

What can I do? Excessive listening to recordings without dynamic range compression to increase the demand for it, which affects future decisions about the amount of processing!

Do you know such albums? I am interested in almost every musical genre. But it should be music and not tessongs. It doesn't necessarily have to be without DRC at all (because it is very difficult to find out), but it should have a lot of dynamics and a very natural sound.

Here are some examples:
John Patitucci Trio - Remembrance
YouTube

Peter Erskine, Alan Pasqua and Dave Carpenter - Standards
Recorded with only two microphones.
YouTube

Oscar Peterson Trio - We Get Requests
Recording is from 1964, so the overall sound quality isn't that great. But a lot of dynamic.
YouTube

Listen, what do you say to me? YouTube
Old 14th November 2019, 09:02 PM   #12
silverprout is offline silverprout  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billshurv View Post
Clearly not a fan of the Jam .
Are you talking about sugar ?
The bad taste horribe chemical thing that is incoporated by force in all our modern food ?
I will say all with one word : BEURK.
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by silverprout; 14th November 2019 at 09:07 PM.
Old 14th November 2019, 09:37 PM   #13
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

My recording. No compression or any other manipulation actually.

//
Attached Files
File Type: zip smb_snipp.zip (740.6 KB, 9 views)
Old 14th November 2019, 09:46 PM   #14
studiophone is offline studiophone  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the link to the DR list. For a good laugh check out the lowest ranked one on the list : Five Star Hotel , gray data. It’s ridiculous. The format is lossless!
Old 16th November 2019, 10:01 AM   #15
Douglas Blake is offline Douglas Blake  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinter01 View Post
Hi,

I'm very angry that so many recordings sounds so bad. Especially, there's no reason it has to sound bad. A lot of money is envolved in the recording process: expensive instruments, expensive microphones, expensive ADCs etc... So there is a big potential for good sound quality. But for no reason a ton of effects are used, which destroys recordings instead of improving them. Okay, that's not true, there's a reason: listeners are more sensitive to volume than sound quality, and sound engineers love to use a lot of effects
It is painfully ironic that with the development of CD quality digital sound, which has far better potential for quality and dynamics than LPs or Tape, the engineers should elect to produce schlock with virtually no dynamic range and untolled distortion. It enfuriates me to no end and it's left my musical choices firmly rooted in the 70s and 80s.

I found this to be a pretty good analysis... YouTube

Between compression, quantization and autotune our wonderful new technologies have sucked the life right out of today's new music.

Quote:
What can I do? Excessive listening to recordings without dynamic range compression to increase the demand for it, which affects future decisions about the amount of processing!
It's true ... thanks to the "loudness wars" it is perfectly fair to opine that most of today's youth have never actually heard real music played by human beings.
Old 16th November 2019, 01:11 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Blake View Post
"...the crazy man shooting in the street, and the police will be called" 11:40 / 20

Old 16th November 2019, 02:04 PM   #17
analog_sa is offline analog_sa  Europe
diyAudio Member

What i do not understand is the current need to limit the dynamic range of the source material. There is no particular reason to do so at source when variable compression rate is easy to apply within the reproduction chain. Instead of coming with more hare-brained schemes like MQA the music industry can come up with standards for reproduction which allow for a user selectable compression. Even high end equipment will need a degree of compression.
Old 16th November 2019, 09:06 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
user selectable compression. Even high end equipment will need a degree of compression
With a graphical UI, RTA, RMS peaks and crest factor peaks please
Old 16th November 2019, 09:13 PM   #19
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billshurv View Post
If you note, much of the highest DR music is Jazz.
I noticed that in your link, plenty of Ron Carter for example

Has anyone resorted to expanders?

Last edited by scottjoplin; 16th November 2019 at 09:19 PM.
Old 16th November 2019, 09:47 PM   #20
Soldermizer is offline Soldermizer  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes, mostly the old dBX "consumer" expanders. The ultimate was the 5BX, it was fun to play with. I sold mine after a few years. I used a Behringer DEQ2496 for EQ duty for a few years, played with its expander. Even though single band, it could do a decent -- or excessive -- effect. I'm sure there are digital plug-ins available, but I've not tried any. Clearly the best solution would be no compression in the source and user supplied compression at the listening end. But when you consider that the target consumer is an idiot, this blows the feasibility of such a plan right out of the water

Albums without dynamic range compressionHide this!Advertise here!