Amazon Ultra HD streaming

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This from a recent article:

“Amazon Music HD offers customers more than 50 million lossless HD songs, with a bit depth of 16 bits and a sample rate of 44.1kHz (CD quality). In addition, customers can stream millions more songs in Ultra HD (better than CD quality), with a bit depth of 24 bits and a sample rate up to 192 kHz.”

Anyone have any idea if the Ultra HD format is just resampled from CD format?

I am currently building a small system for the office and was just pricing a new DAC either buy or build. The availability of a wide selection of 24bit/192Khz material will definitely impact my selection process …maybe not buy a Schiit Modi Multibit??

Amazon is horrible, I'm noit sure what the deal is, but I think there signal is too weak, it works fine at low levels, but you give it some gas, it falls on it's face.

I'm talking about through a computer. Tidal sound fine when I ramp it up, but Amazon distorts into something very ugly. I think you could overcome this with a pre and use that to take the input up, but you shouldn't need to do that. I have a pretty sweet PC stream and no issues with any other service, but Amazon.

Just thought I would dig this up in case anyone else has issues. There are a lot of us that have one of our rigs stream from computer. I thought I was having an amp issue it was so bad.

Last edited:
Anyone have any idea if the Ultra HD format is just resampled from CD format?

Given the rather small pool of true HD content right now, I'd have to guess most of it is just upsampled CD content.

Sadly this means that a lot of it might be caught up in the whole "Loudness War" thing, with almost no dynamic range, and will sound even worse at 24bits than it does at 16.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.