Оld records in new formats, such as FLAC, WAV

Hey. Interested in buying well-known old records in new formats, such as FLAC, WAV. I looked on the Internet, they practically did not bargain in studios. Sony, Lynn, Naim is. But the repertoire is terrible. Someone tell me, please, where you can buy such records in new formats. Interested in old rock such as Camel, Nektar, Bread, Player, Uriah Heep, UK, Chicago, TOTO, Ambrosia, Moody Blues, Kansas, Meatloaf...

Last edited:
The availability or unavailability of the titles you are looking for has a lot to do with which company currently holds the distribution rights. As a practical example, hdtracks.com has currently 1 Camel title available and a few, but not all, Moody Blues titles. So there is demand but no agreement to distribute everything.
My music library is entirely encoded in FLAC, the largest portion ripped from my own CDs using Exact Audio Copy. I have also purchased used CDs when certain titles were unavailable. Finally, in the last decade or so, many of the bands you listed have had boxed set releases comprising several albums at a reduced price. Here is the Bread boxed set.

https://www.importcds.com/elektra-years-the-complete-album-collection/081227933869

My suggestion is to follow the same approach and build your library from CDs, as opposed to waiting until titles are available in digital format.

The availability or unavailability of the titles you are looking for has a lot to do with which company currently holds the distribution rights. As a practical example, hdtracks.com has currently 1 Camel title available and a few, but not all, Moody Blues titles. So there is demand but no agreement to distribute everything.
My music library is entirely encoded in FLAC, the largest portion ripped from my own CDs using Exact Audio Copy. I have also purchased used CDs when certain titles were unavailable. Finally, in the last decade or so, many of the bands you listed have had boxed set releases comprising several albums at a reduced price. Here is the Bread boxed set.

https://www.importcds.com/elektra-years-the-complete-album-collection/081227933869

My suggestion is to follow the same approach and build your library from CDs, as opposed to waiting until titles are available in digital format.

Totally agree!

Many CD's are as 'cheap as chips' second hand, probably less than you would pay for a digital copy (if they ever become available). And do get a good CD ripper, I use one from dBPowerAmp which also come with a format converter. This software compares the rip checksum to those stored on an on-line database to ensure total accuracy. I have ripped over 1600 CD's without too many issues all in FLAC format, it just takes time!!!!

Thank you very much for your two very detailed answers. The fact is that my wonderful old friend has already bought almost all of this music on CD. But he no longer wants to buy a CD because it is a pity the place in the house and the sound is not as good as on SACD or FLAC. I personally managed to sell my collection. The problem is that, for example, SACDs are very good, but they are also hard to get, and music, such as old rock, is not released on SACD. As I said, the sound quality of the CD does not suit us. I personally still do not like the mechanics of the players, the laptop is more convenient. Now I understand the situation when you just need to come to terms with the sound quality of a CD for music, which I called above, and listen to how it is already. Now I have a new question: why did you copy into FLAC? To save space?

Now I have a new question: why did you copy into FLAC? To save space?

Hi GUNFU,

I recently ripped my entire CD collection to FLAC format. It saves a lot of space, it is very convenient for accessing music quickly, and the FLAC lossless compression method (coupled with a ripper such as Exact Audio Copy) means you will get exact replication of what is on a CD.

It is then possible to use the FLAC format for archiving purposes, or for making further file conversions such AAC or ALAC for Apple Mac, or lossy MP3s.

The only drawback is that FLAC conversion can take considerably longer than a conventional rip to say, an MP3 or a WAV, but the quality and integrity of the FLAC conversion is well worth the extra time and effort involved.

Hope this helps.

tapestryofsound

Now I have a new question: why did you copy into FLAC? To save space?

No. What prompted me to start ripping my CDs was the purchase of the original Squeezebox from Slim Devices. I initially stored the music in WAV files because I was concerned about losing sound quality. It immediately became obvious that it was not the best choice since WAV files did not store the metadata which the Slim Devices server was able to display. That's when I looked into FLAC and found out about its many advantages. First, it was designed for music. In addition, it was also designed to stream music by organizing the contents in frames that can be served one at a time, instead of forcing the player to buffer the whole file. It is open source and the code is available for downloading and examining.

GitHub - xiph/flac: Free Lossless Audio Codec

The test protocol for the encoder/decoder is also available and I could see how much thought went into the FLAC format design. Lastly, I conducted the information preservation test myself by extracting to WAV, converting to FLAC, then from that to a new WAV file and comparing to the original. There was no difference.

No. What prompted me to start ripping my CDs was the purchase of the original Squeezebox from Slim Devices. I initially stored the music in WAV files because I was concerned about losing sound quality. It immediately became obvious that it was not the best choice since WAV files did not store the metadata which the Slim Devices server was able to display. That's when I looked into FLAC and found out about its many advantages. First, it was designed for music. In addition, it was also designed to stream music by organizing the contents in frames that can be served one at a time, instead of forcing the player to buffer the whole file. It is open source and the code is available for downloading and examining.

GitHub - xiph/flac: Free Lossless Audio Codec

The test protocol for the encoder/decoder is also available and I could see how much thought went into the FLAC format design. Lastly, I conducted the information preservation test myself by extracting to WAV, converting to FLAC, then from that to a new WAV file and comparing to the original. There was no difference.

+1 :up:

I'm always fascinated with language and how it changes. When CDs came out they were digital, and stereo retail outlets were selling SPEAKERS intended to be used with the new "DIGITAL" format, Now digital music (as implied in earlier posts) means downloaded files exclusively, as if CDs somehow stopped being digital!

Thank you very much for your two very detailed answers. The fact is that my wonderful old friend has already bought almost all of this music on CD. But he no longer wants to buy a CD because it is a pity the place in the house and the sound is not as good as on SACD or FLAC.
Are these FLAC files with 24-bit word depth? I had to double-check to see, but FLAC can store files with 16, 20, and 24 bit words. FLAC files made from standard CDs will of course have 16 bit words, and have the exact same sound quality as the CDs they were made from.

FLAC - format

Sergei Sarychev from the rock group Alpha, which became a cult in the USSR, recorded his album in a frosty basement, wearing gloves with shortened tips. For recording, he used his father's analog tape recorder. He did not have a studio, much less the super-digital FLAC format in 1983. And now the youth has everything, but not the most important thing ... there is no music.
Naim Label, Linn Records,Sony, where are you looking for your talents?
Музыкальные сервисы HD | Загрузка музыки и аудиофайлов в высоком разрешении | Sony RU

Last edited:
Hi guys. For some time, the DVD player on the SONY laptop did not work for me, I fixed it today (I just cleaned the head unit). It turns out that this laptop without any problems in 4-5 minutes copies any audio CD to the hard drive in WAV format using the built-in program CyberLink Power2GO, which, obviously, comes with Window or DVD. And then using the AIMP program, with which I listen to Internet radio, you can reformat these files to any other modern format, such as FLAC and its analogs in just 30 seconds.
SACD was not at hand, it has not yet been tested, apparently, it will be more difficult to calculate, and problems may arise. Most likely, another program will be needed.