Forbidden music in the USSR

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In general, music of Western origin was unavailable in the Eastern bloc after WWII. Especially jazz, which was considered as "decadent" music.
Home recording gear was not commercially available either, being of western origin, and we didn't have convertible currency. This situation led to various cheap and inventious techniques, like recording on X-ray films, that period lasted until the 50's (at least in my country).
Tape recorders were for everyone who wanted to have them, they were not expensive. In the 70s I was a kid, and my father always had tape recorders and reels. And the players too. I remember in our collection Russian and foreign music was present equally. The term about banned music in the USSR, in my opinion, is greatly exaggerated.
Russian romance: "and lastly I will say"
YouTube
Nikita Mikhalkov - Mochnatiy Shmyel
YouTube
"Карнавал - "Слезы льет лед" 1981г. /"Carnival -" Tears pours ice "1981.
YouTube
Пикник - Океан трав (редкие записи) 1987 год

YouTube

Last edited:
This is the cult group “Alpha”, because the soloist was very young, of our age and very talented.
Alpha "I am made from such a substance" 1984

I'm made of such a substance
Of the two intractable collisions
From the bright colors of the full celebration
And black suspicious doubts

I am made from finds and losses
From the right and wild delusions
My soul is wide open like a door
And there are no barriers or fences

I am made from distant cities
In which I will never be
I love these cities for
That people live in them and believe in miracles

I am made from uncreated flowers
I am from reproaches, disputes, objections
I consist of the longest words
And also from short sentences

I am made of rebellious fire
From strength and burning power
I am from today's luck
But for the most part still from falling ...

YouTube

Another interesting group "Zero" - "Man and Cat" 1991
YouTube
Аукцыон - Дорога

YouTube

Last edited:
Some Soviet cassette deck brands even had cosmic names. I have seen Vega and Orbita.
And also Comet, Astra. And the marine theme Corvette, Surf. It all depended on what kind of military factory produced them. Since in the USSR the communists obliged the factories to produce civilian products too. There were even clones of first-class Japanese loudspeakers. I do not know whether it was true or a legend that the Japanese boasted of these new speakers at one of the receptions at the embassy. And they said that the USSR can make nuclear submarines, but cannot give audio equipment. After that, these speakers appeared.
https://www.hi-fi.ru/upload/iblock/84d/84d9420fe95358417cdccf260c3a94d0.jpeg

Last edited:
Super hit 80s rock band KRUIZ"Cruise". The recording is remarkable because the same Sergey Sarychev wrote this music, which later organized his rock band "Alpha" which I have already mentioned. Here he plays the keyboard and as always he wears black glasses.
YouTube

KRUIZ - Forever rock!
YouTube

Rare recording of Soviet television. Rock group "ARIA".
YouTube

Last edited:
I remember servicing radios branded "Rigonda" and B&W TVs branded "Temp". The Temp TVs were problematic because they had a mains transformer and 6.3V valves. Most stock valves were 300ma.
Rigonda is the receivers of the production of the Riga factory from the Baltic. They always made only civilian mass products at very affordable prices. The quality of workmanship was average and consistent with prices; in printed circuit boards, they used cheap plastic based on paper (getinax) and not foiled fiberglass laminate, as in most other Soviet enterprises. In Russia, another such cheap plant was Vega. I repaired several top-end Victor (JVC) turntables with direct drive. The engine was of high quality, and the boards themselves that they run are disgusting. They were also from the cheapest paper plastic (getinaks) and all the rations rotted from the hot tropical and humid Japanese climate. Ie their production does not correspond to their own Japanese climate. In the Soviet motherboards, however, not only textolite was used, but also components using gold, and all this was always almost always covered with several layers of synthetic varnish. Audio was divided into groups of complexity and high-class equipment, almost not inferior, and often superior to foreign counterparts. For example, in the head 008 of the moving-magnet (MM) plates produced by the Corvette company in Leningrad, a needle holder (cantilever) was used in the form of a conical tube of pure beryllium, and the needle was Swiss-made, it is 1980-1990 release.
In England, earlier, they also produced excellent acoustic systems and everyone remembers that. Early KEF, Celestion Ditton were especially good, but what is now very expensive and often sounds bad.
Only today I listened to several models of the newest DYNAUDIO and B & W and everything sounded much worse than the French Cabasse Java MC40 which costs much less and sounded extremely musical and accurate. I heard such a sound only from very expensive US-made REVEL Ultima Salon2. But which cost 10 times more than Cabasse Java MC40.
This is all to the fact that now nobody has anything to boast about. In addition to some successful single models. In general, the Japanese practically turned off the production of first-class acoustic systems, with the exception of the Yamaha NS-5000 and which are also too expensive compared to the Cabasse Java MC40 and B & W.

Two Soviet superstars. Yuri Nikulin, who went through the whole war, and then worked in the Moscow circus as a boss and a clown. And Andrei Mironov. Both starred in many films. Andrei Mironov plays the role of a gangster in this film.
YouTube
YouTube

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.