Don't trash those old records

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That's quite depressing really. I had heard nothing about it. Not the fire nor what was destroyed/saved. Makes me wonder about some of the vinyl I have sitting at home.

Edit: Also makes me think about Dr. Who. BBC used to destroy copies of shows because who on earth would want to watch reruns or treasure a weekly serial thing? Now some of the early episodes are only view able because someone had a VHS stored in their basement or a rebroadcasting station stored a copy. Some still can't been seen because there are no known copies, let alone known quality copies.

Last edited:
Universal is a commercial company. They have no interest in cultural heritage, only what affects the balance sheet. Their management and accountants must have thought it wasn't worth the expenditure to do anything better.
Of course Universal isn't alone in this, almost all commercial organisations have a duty to their shareholders to provide dividends.

Most developed countries keep archives for cultural heritage media, moving image being considered the most important. Film and videotape is usually kept in temperature and humidity controlled vaults. Some of these facilities have come about due to government legislation.

Maybe it's time for music to also get this protection, since the commercial sector cannot be trusted.

Many of Universal's reissues are now being made using safety master copies. These were produced for sending to other countries so that records could be pressed locally to save in time and cost.

If a safety master was made with care it will sound close to the original master. Unfortunately, safety masters were made from the final mixes of singles and albums so that future manipulation, such as that performed by Giles Martin in producing the new stereo mix of Sgt Pepper, is impossible.

However, there is further concern that some safety copies were stored in the same building as the master copies and may also have perished in the fire!

Film and videotape is usually kept in temperature and humidity controlled vaults. Some of these facilities have come about due to government legislation.All the time the best record in the community will get Lottery Sambad Night. We will not believed that this new game gets that much results.

At one point it was all about possessing the vinyl - now that's just not the case. I don't "need" to have a record in my collection to complete me. I don't often keep tabs on my favorite song of the year

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.