electronic music

I have just spent a couple of days in my workshop embroiled in a further hornspeaker build and cutting heavyweight printing paper off a phat roll for a visual art show next year - and - listening to Daphne Oram’s ‘Oramics’ collection on CD of her early electronica.

At first it sounds like ‘Stockhausen meets the Clangers’, and I have never heard anything quite like it. Actually I have, from my childhood exposure to television, and dreadful underfunded early 1960’s British films. She, like many early women composers of electronica had a very hard time of it financially, and amongst other things had to resort to doing lucrative jingles for TV ads, but her compositional work using her self built Oramics light to sound synthesiser for theatre and concert performances is really quite amazing. I get the impression she was a very private person, quite fragile, and surrounded herself with trustworthy and supportive friends. Indeed, her work comes across as self contained and self referential, and that is perfectly fine by me.

The album incidentally, is on YouTube, and if listened to as an eclectic narrative of her life and work, it is a rewarding insight into a real one off. Outstanding!

Thank you billshurv :)

ToS

Last edited:
Damn guys it's nice to read this topic....

I always dreamed of making my own modular synth since I was a teenager, (other kids found me kind of nerdy)..... but time & money &.... I did enjoy using soft synths (flstudio) and recording stuff... But I've also read alot on the internet etc....

So nowadays I from time to time repair those old beasts (ARP2600, roland jupiter, korg, etc....). Very rewarding.

Also nice to know that some of you guys can also enjoy some psytrance etc.... I like acoustical recordings but I also like psytrance. (nice party's also.....) Music is melody and rhytm. It can be played on acoustical instruments or on synthesizer or the combination.

Actually for the fast bass lines you need a system that can deliver some punch and has a tight bass.

One of my favorite tracks : YouTube it really makes you dance and have fun.

And this is one of my own creations Gated Didgeridoo (work in progress) by Smile-Dance-Meditate | Smile Dance Meditate | Free Listening on SoundCloud The didgeridoo I played myself and after the intro a gating effect is put on the didgeridoo. this can be doen live if needed. I like this as an example of a real instrument combined with synthesizers. It's still work in progress and just for fun. all of the tracks on my soundcloud page are just for fun.

Untrue by Burial

Today, I have been listening to ‘Untrue’ by Burial. There was a lot of excitement about this album back in 2007, with pundits saying it would change EDM forever. They were right. Within seconds it pulled me in and kept me completely engaged for a further three repeats. I listened to it yet again after supper, this time on headphones - just amazing. It’s transcendental trip hop mixed with ambient dub, and it portrays the monochrome ordinariness of urban London life as somewhere between extraordinarily beautiful and dangerously edgy with a truly original sonic grit.

As an album, ‘Untrue’ is full of contradictions, disturbing while reassuring, bleak yet ecstatic, with pitch bended vocals in pools of echo that are just magical in their intensity. Like Banksy, nobody knows who Burial really is, but I can say that this is music of incredible reach and power which is total in its authenticity. This is one of the best electronica albums I have ever heard, and is my best find of the year so far.

A fantastic album. ToS

Ordered a few days ago, due this weekend. Looking forwards to having all the albums on CD (convenience factor) along with all the other music contained within.

Arrived on Friday, very nice, the enclosed book is of excellent quality and just the thing for the TD enthusiast!

Only listened to one of the discs, no 13, which is my fav TD album, 'Stratosfear'. SQ did not seem a lot different from the LP, which I have owned for over 30 years, although I'm sure the mix does differs. Also there is a concert from Coventry Cathedral on this CD and I was aware of low level mains hum towards the end of this track (not my system related I hasten to add!) I will listen again to be sure it's nothing psychosomatic!

It's good to have all the albums, from arguably TD's best period, in one place on CD along with all the other material although I won't be getting rid of my LP versions any time soon!

Synthesizers are clever and an oboe, piano, guitar or clarinet on the other hand produce music.
classically trained pianist here.

one of my favorite modern artists of the last 10 years is an IDM/acid musician out of the netherlands - Kettel. his stuff runs the gamut from IDM through basically modern classical. some wonderful stuff that never gets old to me. (sort of the happy/melodic side compared to plaid/autechre/aphex twin)

latest album, wingtip - YouTube

some of my personal favs:
YouTube
YouTube
YouTube