electronic music

I have my iPad connected to a full size 61 key midi controller and a Focusrite Scarlet 214 interface. (You have to use a powered USB hub to make it all work.) It sounds great.

I have Cubasis for a DAW, and it has a few good built in synth and drum apps, especially Micrologue. I have several synth apps. My favorites are iPolySix, iSem, Sunrizer, and Layr - a really powerful sample based synth. I also have Ravenscroft 275, a very realistic grand piano app.

I need a few more, but I'll wait until Korg has their next sale. I want to get iMonoPoly and Module which is their piano, electric piano, and organ app. It's really good but ends up costing about $80 when you add everything to it. They should have a half price sale soon.

Sounds like you have put a lot of thought and commitment into your music studio setup.

There is one synth app you might want to look at called 'Virtual ANS' that enables you to finger paint sonograms and convert them into music, or convert photographs into musical sonograms. Very very powerful, with unlimited experimental potential. It's terrestrial counterpart was used by Andrei Tarkovsky in Mirror, Stalker, and Solaris.

Here is the link:- WarmPlace.ru. Virtual ANS Spectral Synthesizer

Attachments

• P1210718_x.jpg
    P1210718_x.jpg
    709.8 KB · Views: 335
  • P1210979_x.jpg
    P1210979_x.jpg
    692.7 KB · Views: 343
  • P1280999_x.jpg
    P1280999_x.jpg
    675.4 KB · Views: 328
  • P1300470_x.jpg
    P1300470_x.jpg
    633.7 KB · Views: 326
One thing about electronic music I've only recently discovered: Once the audio system reaches a certain level of transparency, even synthesized sounds take on a character, a texture that I can only describe as natural and organic. It's rather delightful, and one of the main reasons I haven't made any changes to my setup for an unusually long time now - I haven't experienced this particular effect before, and I don't want to screw something up and lose it!

One thing about electronic music I've only recently discovered: Once the audio system reaches a certain level of transparency, even synthesized sounds take on a character, a texture that I can only describe as natural and organic. It's rather delightful, and one of the main reasons I haven't made any changes to my setup for an unusually long time now - I haven't experienced this particular effect before, and I don't want to screw something up and lose it!

Yes, you are actually hearing how these instruments *really* sound. The more transparent your system the more that the beauty of these machines can usually be heard.

Take care,
Doug

This is the reason I love synthesizers, so much good sound, so much fun to provoke differences between systems. If you get the right tuning and distortion it will never sound the same on two setups.
Completely opposite goal of the music industry - "Most small speakers can in some instances manage to sound okay between 100hz and 8khz, so let's go for max output in that range!"

Synthesizers are clever and an oboe, piano, guitar or clarinet on the other hand produce music.
Here’s a tune that is firmly superglued to my brain cells.
When you mentioned synth AND clarinet, have a listen and try to find out when or if the clarinet is synthesized or vice versa.
And talk about a tune to test low frequency response.

YouTube

Synthesizers are clever and an oboe, piano, guitar or clarinet on the other hand produce music.

I feel so sorry for you that for whatever reason you have never experienced or appreciated any of the incredibly beautiful and unique music produced by so many different talented artists with synthesizers over the last 50 years. You are truly missing out on an amazing and satisfying facet of audio enjoyment!

Take care,
Doug

Just been to your website, you like Gary Neuman, you say he sounds good ....... and he plays synths and drum machines, and is loved by everybody. So I think you said what you said to get a reaction, because in truth you like synths. I like synths too, and I like electronica and acoustic, and electronica mixed with acoustic. It's even got a name - 'folktronica'. Check out Beth Orton.

Synthesizers can be used to produce beautiful music, and traditional musical instruments can be used to produce some awful noise. I have made both over the years, but my younger brother learning to play the sax at age 14 was the definition of "awful noise" for the first year of so. By the time he was in college, it was a different story.

I was enamored with Keith Emerson when I was in high school. An ELP concert was what started me down the voltage controlled journey. I got Switched On Bach when it first came out. That was so long ago that it said Walter Carlos on it!

Reactions: 1 user
One day back around 1968-ish, I was home sick from school, watching an afternoon TV talk show, Phil Donahue I think it was. His guest was a guy named Robert Moog, demonstrating his electronic music synthesizer.

As we know, Bob wasn't really a musician. Most of the demonstration consisted of various sound effects - Foley type stuff, really. But the sight of this huge, complicated, ridiculously cool piece of gear (about the size of a System 55 maybe?), and the f890ing amazing noises coming out of it, were absolutely mesmerizing to my 11-year-old brain.

Since the advent of home video recorders was still about 10 years away at that point, I can't believe I was lucky enough to be home from school that day - I'm sure I didn't miss anything there that was 1/10th as important to my development. :)