Cataloging your CD / Album Collection ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Discogs has this function online for free. Most of the info is already there, but I have uploaded some album covers and track lists for the use of the community.
Like any other big list, it's a chore. But with your spreadsheet you have a good start.

Mediamonkey is what I use, and I'm on the third "tagging" Year now. 150000 files and more 50000 to work on.
It has many plugins scripts You can use.
If Your filenames are correct There is also the "Karen's directory printer" that performs more functions than a Dir > text file that You can import into Excel.
There was also a program called "Advanced ...something... catalog"

I've kept paper records for decades. A few years ago, put all my tape and vinyl music on CDs. A year or two ago, put all my music on to electronic files and they all live on a 128 gigabit chip on a USB port.... which I pray has preserved all their quality.

Now I am using FileMaker, a fancy and expensive database that I've used for years in business. The advantage is that it is a great database tool. For example, I have a system for classifying music (organ, wife's favourites, HiFi....) so I can immediately locate all the HiFi organ recordings. As well as ID, type of music, composer, title, etc. There is even a field that has scanned "liner notes".

But more: it plays the files just like J-River. The music is in something called a "container field" and the files are external to the db file itself.

Great system although it weds me to FileMaker updates ever after.

B.

I just keep a modest list in a spreadsheet (Google Docs so is available on any machine).

Originally created so I could keep a record of which ripped files I sent to my friends.
I do prefer actual CDs and only have about half a dozen downloads, stuff otherwise unavailable.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.