Which intuitive free software should I use?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there.

I'm in a band and I compose, and I'd like to be able to hear try compositions on a computer before using up all my bandmates' time. I'm after some super basic software - I enter drum beats (as easy as Hydrogen), I enter a bass, guitar and maybe one more layer into a piano roll. It doesn't have to sound good, I just want an idea of how it will sound together. What would you recommend?

Thanks

I enter drum beats (as easy as Hydrogen), I enter a bass, guitar and maybe one more layer into a piano roll.
I use Musescore to do exactly what you are describing: Free music composition and notation software | MuseScore

I don't know** if Musescore has a piano-roll entry option. But if you remember that the lowest line of the treble clef is E, and the lowest line of the bass clef is G, then its not hard to enter notes into the staff instead. You have plenty of time to get each note right, and can drag a note to a different line or space if you do make a mistake.

The attached image is a little guitar practice backing track I made with Musescore. A basic drum pattern, sustained chords with an electric organ sound, and an electric guitar bass line. You can set Musescore to loop endlessly, so I only typed in eight bars.

-Gnobuddy

** It looks like a piano-roll entry method is being developed for Musescore 3, now in alpha: MuseScore 3.0 Alpha 2 Release | MuseScore

Attachments

• Dmaj_Backing_Track.png
    Dmaj_Backing_Track.png
    66.2 KB · Views: 63
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.