Music Made for Headphones?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was curious if there was any music specifically for headphones.

As kids my brother and I played around with music for headphones by making
recordings using two microphones back to back and about 6 inches apart then
playing music through the stereo speakers that were 10 feet or so apart.

Is would seem that it would be quite interesting to place the
microphones in the prime listening spot and have an orchestra play.

Is anyone doing such recordings?

Thank you

Well almost. Back in the seventies there was a genre known as "head music". Some of it was certainly recorded with headphones in mind as the preferred method of listening. This is probably not what you're referring to. But tunes like Zeppelin's Whole Lotta Love (the middle part) would really crank your head around when your mind was right wearing headphones.

Yes, there is, it is called binaural:

-- Chesky Records does this, and has published already about 38 binaural albums
recorded at 24bit/192Khz high resolution audio using an artificial head: Binaural+ Series | Chesky Records

--nativedsd.com has also a list released in DSD high res format: Binaural Dsd Music | Homepage | NativeDSD Music

--a list of older albums NON-high res (cd format) here: AWESOME BINAURAL ALBUMS! | Head-Fi.org

There are more, the important thing to know is that not every binaural recording is made equal. There can be exceptional recordings and failed ones.

Another important thing to know, is that you need the best headphones you can get.
Electrostatics is by far the best suitable for binaural recordings in my experience.

Last edited:
Headphone Songs Guaranteed to Blow Your Mind

Mastodon, “The Czar”

This is one case where a song not only sounds great under headphones, but the sprawling arrangement almost makes more sense. In fact, that description applies to almost every track on Mastodon’s underrated 2009 progressive metal masterpiece, Crack the Skye.

Richly detailed, “The Czar” is virtual feast of brilliantly layered guitar tones that demands the deep dive you can only get through some fab ‘phones.

Muddy Waters, “Feel Like Going Home”

If you’ve ever wanted to know what it would be like to stand in the same room with Muddy Waters while he played the greatest blues the world has ever heard, just get a copy of the Folk Singer album recorded in 1964 and listen to this haunting studio performance. You will feel the very earth shake underneath your shoes.

Pantera, “5 Minutes Alone”

When most people think of headphone jams, they usually flash on something ethereal like Pink Floyd or Jimi Hendrix. But sometimes it’s great to just get a swift kick in the head, especially when you’re hitting the gym or getting psyched up for great night out.
Almost anything off Pantera’s Far Beyond Driven does the trick, but “5 Minutes Alone” always works for me.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.