Albums that tell a story?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Throwing you a bit of a curve ball -- Adlai Stevenson did an LP a few years before he died -- in it he related several stories of his service in France after the liberation of Paris -- now those are great stories by an extremely literate gentleman.

Those of us, of a generation, can remember the LP's with "Peter and the Wolf" and a description of the reason that particular instruments were chosen to represent the character parts.

Throwing you a bit of a curve ball -- Adlai Stevenson did an LP a few years before he died -- in it he related several stories of his service in France after the liberation of Paris -- now those are great stories by an extremely literate gentleman.

Those of us, of a generation, can remember the LP's with "Peter and the Wolf" and a description of the reason that particular instruments were chosen to represent the character parts.

Upon looking up Adlai Stevenson those look mostly to be speeches.

I had forgot about Peter and the wolf :)

On a side note my Father had a bunch of 45's from Redd Harper
that were Children's Bible stories. I can still remember some of
them of them nearly 50 year later.

The first few that come to mind in the rock catalog would include Pink Floyd "The Wall", "Wish You Were Here" (Syd); Beatles "St Peppers", "Magical Mystery Tour"; at least 3 of Rick Wakeman's early works; Frank Zappa's "Joe's Garage" ; cast album of movie "Jesus Christ, Superstar"

While I'm generally less of a fan of the genre, pretty much any opera - as the local society pronounces on their bus adverts - "stories so big they have to be sung" - and that's a pretty long list

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
And outside of opera there are plenty of classical albums that tell a story, many of them ballet pieces.

Firebird Suite
Petrouska
l'Histoire de Soldat
The Miraculous Mandarin
Nutcracker Suite
Peter and the Wolf
Carmina Burana
Grand Canyon Suite
Rodeo

Good topic!

Pretty Things "S.F. Sorrow"
Kinks "Face to Face" & "Village Green Preservation Society" (both more of a mosaic)
Luke the Drifter (aka Hank Williams Sr.) "Beyond the Sunset"
Lee Hazlewood "Trouble is a Lonesome Town"
Frank Sinatra "Watertown"
Woody Guthrie "Dust Bowl Ballads"

I was a record store clerk/vinyl hoarder for five years, over a decade ago. I miss that job.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.