Albums that tell a story?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A wonderful choice.

Side note: Have you ever been bothered by the very brief pause between the somber end of "Hello Earth" and the chirpy start to "The Morning Fog"? Awhile back, I edited the end of Hello's FLAC file to add a few seconds of silence, and find the transistion to be much less of a jolt now.
I see what you mean, but it has never bothered me. I see it as a wake up jolt. I have come round from a general anaesthetic and it was like a switch being thrown, I felt instantly highly alert.

Strange how you remember long forgotten things when you are not trying to. I'm sure I could find many more by flipping through my vinyl collection, but it is still packed up after two house moves.

Tales of Mystery and Imagination - The Alan Parsons Project.

Based on the Edgar Allen Poe novel. The 70's LP version and the 80's CD are different. Orson Wells narrative and more synthesizer music were added to the CD re-master.

Other Alan Parsons Project albums also tell stories. My favorite is "I Robot."

Conceptual albums (that tell a stroy) were very common within the ProgRock genre. As another example (some still have been given) I'd like to throw in:

Gentle Giant - Three Friends.

It tells the life of three schoolboys and how they get lost from each other.

Another one, not really ProgRock, rather Progressive Folk is

Magna Carta - Seasons.

Starting in autumn, it tells about the change in nature and life throughout the year. Rather amazing and stunning musicality.

Best regards!

Hand. Cannot. Erase. by Steven Wilson.

Agreed, I can't stop listening to the new one, "To the Bone." The songs and demo's that didn't make the cut or didn't fit the theme were released on a (very) limited edition set that sold out before anyone could buy one.

If you liked Porcupine Tree, listen to this once, then tell me you don't want to hear it again.

YouTube

George - thanks for the shout out for early Moodys - some wonderful memories of THC enhanced headphone listening back in the day. A buddy of mine from the 70s, who is a brother in law of David Foster, and spent some of his own time as a recording studio engineer during the 80 / 90s, recently commented on fondly remembering "Crime of the Century" et al from our salad days, but complained about them being "all multi-miked, overdubbed, special effect laden crap, of course"

Ya - that was precisely what enhanced the escapism I was looking for when I bought my ticket to ride.

Well a someof my favourite albums do.

Nicola Alesini & Pier Luigi Andreoni - Marco Polo
Banco del Mutuo Soccorso - Darwing (It)
Ars Nova - Biogenesis (Jp)
Goblin Reberth - Selftitled (It)
Moody Blues - In The Search Of The Lost Chord (Uk)
Red Sand - Music For Sharks (Ca)
Red Sand - Human Trafficking (Ca)
Roger Waters - Radio Kaos (Uk)
Roger Waters - The Pros And Cons Of Hitchhiking (Uk)
Roger Waters - Amuzed To Death (Uk)
Little Tragedies - Chinese Songs (Ru)
Little Tragedies - New Faust (Ru)

Guess some of Marillion's album could be regarded as storytelling.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.