Albums that tell a story?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Are we caring if the story is comprehensible or not? :)

Because if not, then I nominate:

Jon Anderson: Olias of Sunhillow

After 40 years I still don't quite understand the story, but I dearly love the music.

Besides, Jon once said something to the effect that he often wrote lyrics simply for the sounds the words made, as much as any literal meaning they might have had. This leaves much to interpretation - diyImagery!

A personal example: For years I thought I had read in the liner notes that the ship in the story, The Moorglade, was propelled through space by the power of the singing voices of its occupants! Reading them now, I find no specific reference to this, and can only attribute my earlier misreading to the various altered states under which I used to enjoy this record. Still a pretty cool idea though, eh? Plus, the music is so glorious that there's at least one passage where it's easy to imagine this happening.

Gotta love the '70s, heh.

Last edited:
The Pro's and Con's of Hitch Hiking and Radio Kaos both by Roger Waters and pretty much anything by Pink Floyd.

I've always felt that an album should ' tell a story ' of sorts with each track somehow relevant to the others rather than just being a collection of random and unconnected material , Demon Days by Gorillaz is a good example of this.

Pink Floyd - The Wall

Gotta love the '70s, heh....... can only attribute my earlier misreading to the various altered states under which I used to enjoy this record.

I tend to include the late 60's as well

To a varying extent, any Moody Blues album from that era starting with Days of Future Passed, an album commissioned by Deram Records to showcase their "Deramic Sound System" (Stereo) in 1967. It chronicles a typical day and was recorded with a full orchestra.

Other good choices, very popular with the altered states crowd:

On the Threshold of a Dream
In Search Of The Lost Chord
A Question Of Balance
To Our Children's Children's Children
Every Good Boy Deserves Favour

Excellent half album stories from around 1970 these were constantly in my car 8 track player along with Abbey Road and a couple of Traffic tapes (Low Spark and Shootout):

Caravan - In The Land Of Grey And Pink (entire album second side starting with Nine Feet Underground).

McDonald and Giles - McDonald and Giles The "Birdman" which was the second side of the album. From a couple of ex King Crimson members.

I'm sure that there are many more, but as some say.....If you can remember the 60's / 70's you didn't really experience it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.