Ornette Coleman RIP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ornette definitely chose the jazz path less traveled....I admired his musical individuality, although I had a difficult time accessing his music. But, there were some grand moments where it came through for me....... Many people, even his fellow Jazz musicians, had a hard time figuring out what Coleman's approach was about.

I love Roy Eldridge's quote when asked about Coleman's music,

"I'd listened to him all kinds of ways. I listened to him high and I listened to him cold sober. I even played with him. I think he's jiving baby."

RIP Ornette....you were definitely one of a kind.

I remember watching that when it first aired, good program. I'm a Mingus fan, Dolphy too and Monk does it for me in a big way. I loved Scott Joplin's music as a kid, and it was Ragtime that got me into piano playing. But it's only in the last ten years or so that I've been on my jazz journey though I've been into Weather Report for almost as long as I can remember. Thanks to the internet I've discovered a lot.

Matt - if you like WR, take a listen to Chick Corea and Herbie Hancock's work of approx the same era.

And have you heard Manhattan Transfer's version of "Birdland" - I almost prefer it to the Heavy Weather version - from Extensions? An overall quite interesting pastiche of a range of genres

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.