Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

Thread proposal - Socratic discussion - What is Music?
Thread proposal - Socratic discussion - What is Music?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th June 2015, 08:28 PM   #21
FrankWW is offline FrankWW  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binely View Post
What is not present in music. Dance?
They contain each other. One can grow out of the other.

Have to expand my description:

Music is a process, using pitched and rhythmic sounds and movements, with which monadic creatures, such as ourselves, make primordial emotional experience available to each other.

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzUN...=RDJzUN-0XSyxQ
Old 8th June 2015, 09:18 PM   #22
Binely is offline Binely  United States
diyAudio Member

So the sets of dance and music can contain each other, but can there be dance without music? Possibly yes.

I remember watching the movie Amadeus when they had a bunch of people prancing around on stage without music.

What about other visual arts. Is poetry contained in music, or do they just overlap in parts.

Saw the video of the operatic performance above. Wow. I thought her jaw at one point was going to detach like a snake does when it feeds. Talk about extension and power. And some mechanical advantage...
Old 9th June 2015, 02:00 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
So the sets of dance and music can contain each other, but can there be dance without music? Possibly yes.
Dance usually has a beat or pulse. Otherwise, it's mime, (unless you want to include mime as part of dance, and I don't see why not, unless it's poetry).

Quote:
I remember watching the movie Amadeus when they had a bunch of people prancing around on stage without music.
There was a beat there, but it was a theatrical device and some scholarly winking; most 18th century music unless ballad or church music, was set to dance rhythms. Let's stay focused and not look at theatre yet, Mr. S.

Quote:
Is poetry contained in music, or do they just overlap in parts.[?]
There is something in us which has really serious need to make our experience, (particularly emotional), available to others and which has reciprocal need to know, really know, others' experience. It comes out as music, poetry and dance. As they come from the same place and have the same intention, I think we can say that sometimes they seem congruent sometimes not.

My suspicion is poetry arises from music - just the quality of a voice of a voice can move us.
Old 10th June 2015, 03:16 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Or was the spoken word and composition of them here before... I think it's a linguistic chicken-egg problem. Clearly music can be composed without written symbols or alphabet albeit less easily passed on.
Old 10th June 2015, 09:38 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Or was the spoken word and composition of them here before... I think it's a linguistic chicken-egg problem. Clearly music can be composed without written symbols or alphabet albeit less easily passed on.
Not important question. I was being too clever. I think what's important is the congruency of source and needs.
Old 10th June 2015, 12:30 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWW View Post
They contain each other. One can grow out of the other.

Have to expand my description:

Music is a process, using pitched and rhythmic sounds and movements, with which monadic creatures, such as ourselves, make primordial emotional experience available to each other.

[/URL]
I like your description. It has a fluid quality to it.
Old 11th June 2015, 12:43 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I like your description. It has a fluid quality to it.
"Music is a process, using pitched and rhythmic sounds and movements, with which monadic creatures, such as ourselves, make primordial emotional experience available to each other."

I thought the formulation was OK cuz each part can be expanded; or changed on new info.

Ideas are not original with me - I'm sure I pinched them from Hampson, or DiDonato, or Racette, or Fleming, or Finley who are fabulous singers and brilliant teachers we can see on you tube

https://www.youtube.com/results?hl=e...22&sa=N&tab=w1

and from a couple of other places not directly germane here.

I think this could become interesting. What say you?
Old 11th June 2015, 02:25 AM   #28
SyncTronX is offline SyncTronX  United States
diyAudio Member

Music is the international language.

When it real and comes from within, there isn't much better.

It is even better when you are playing with a bunch of guys
and gals and "IT" happens. Your fellow musicians know
and they hear/feel it. There's not much better than that.
Old 11th June 2015, 02:43 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Frank Agree - thoroughly satisfying discussion. If purely academic, still worth the effort. Even better if it leads to useful articulation.

Sync - couldn't have said it better. I got the joy to play while living abroad with a student band, it was one of the few ways I felt all the way at home there over that year's time. No explanation needed, just sit down, shut up and play music together.

I still miss playing. I saw some footage of an open mic jam night the other day. Made me want to pick up the guitar and learn to play. That feeling when it's all allright and you get the goosbumps up the back of the neck. That's what I am looking for when I'm trying to figure out this obsession.
Old 11th June 2015, 03:55 AM   #30
fas42 is offline fas42  Australia
Banned

Quote:
I still miss playing. I saw some footage of an open mic jam night the other day. Made me want to pick up the guitar and learn to play. That feeling when it's all allright and you get the goosbumps up the back of the neck. That's what I am looking for when I'm trying to figure out this obsession.
The goosebumps, etc, happen when the music playback is in the "zone" - most of the time, for most systems, this doesn't happen - a certain level of quality has to be reached by the system, and then the "zoning" can happen - what I call convincing sound is then in the air.

Part of recipe is SPLs, part is clarity - usually hard to get both together at the same time ... but when it happens, you certainly know about it, ... makes all the efforts to get there worthwhile .

Thread proposal - Socratic discussion - What is Music?Hide this!Advertise here!